Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong...

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Thank you! Old cars are great if you have failing eyesight, facial bushyness and a flat cap. If you actually want to go anywhere you wouldn't dream of taking an allegro!

The 35 is the allegro of the airgun world. Ugly, out of proportion and a throwback to grimmer times. It has the same fanbase as the allegro too, with the same rabid, blinkered beardiness prevelent and all the owners have problems with their adenoids.

If you need to get one then get an old one. At least then when someone finds out theres a chance they'll think you are a collector rather than just a prat!
    We could almost be brothers, we think so alike

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    If you need to get one then get an old one. At least then when someone finds out theres a chance they'll think you are a collector rather than just a prat!
    I don't do LOL but this did make smile this morning!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Me? Good God no! If I had one (which I don't), I wouldn't never sell it.

And what's this I hear you've been going about saying the HW 95 is your favorite springer??
    My 95 is my favourite springer I own. Currently.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    ... to want a HW35?

I quite fancy one despite the fact that there are more modern springers out there.

Rob.
    I'm finally cured
    Had one with bell'd cylinder, leaky one with porous brazing. leather ins synthetic ins, and in the end one that worked really well a V Glided one .......

I kept my 95s and 80s though

Everyone should have a 35 and 77, as long as with 35 you understand it's the 'experience' more than the general reason of having an air gun - to shoot the target accurately, with ease
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    We could almost be brothers, we think so alike

Pete
    Twisted sisters, more like!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I'm finally cured
    Had one with bell'd cylinder, leaky one with porous brazing. leather ins synthetic ins, and in the end one that worked really well a V Glided one .......
    Was that one rifle ?

Who made it a guy that used to make Triumph Stags for a living ......
    Nice things happen to nice people.

The irritating safety warning stamped on the rear block is a deal breaker imo. Why a sticker couldn't suffice I'll never know, and its much cheaper. This is PC compliance at its worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post

Everyone should have a 35 and 77, as long as with 35 you understand it's the 'experience' more than the general reason of having an air gun - to shoot the target accurately, with ease
    Agreed with that first part.

Sorry, sir, can't agree with the second part. With a 35 you have a true landmark, iconic, classic rifle that is easily capable of fine accuracy, equalling and bettering many modern guns.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    The irritating safety warning stamped on the rear block is a deal breaker imo. Why a sticker couldn't suffice I'll never know, and its much cheaper. This is PC compliance at its worse.
    I suspect this may driven by American legal requirements. The USA is a very litigious country full of greedy lawyers.

As for the 35 it is still popular and there must be a reason for that. Most of the haters don't like it because they find it ugly. Those who love it praise its elegant, classic lines. I am in the latter category.

Personally I find modern Daystates extremely ugly, but others think they look wonderful.

Out of the box, the HW80 and 95 are two of the most disappointing air rifles I have ever owned.

Scratch your itch by all means. If you find you have made a mistake, you will always be able to sell it. Especially if you get one with a walnut stock. Best in 22 with a small scope in low mounts.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I've got a blue laminate one in .22 it's definitely different to everyone else's boring wooden stock ones :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    Is it wrong ... to want a HW35?
    No it isn't, they are beautiful classic rifles - I've owned three of them. If they were as bad as Tinbum says, they wouldn't still be in production after all these years - every springer fan should own a 35...

Well I had a HW 35 as a lad so there is a degree or rose tinted specs here but I want a long barrelled export without a leaking cylinder capable of a consistant and accurate 11 ftlbs or so to replace the much loved leather sealed disaster I used to have. Oh and left handed stock please.
    Last edited by copperjacket; 11-01-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    No it isn't, they are beautiful classic rifles - I've owned three of them. If they were as bad as Tinbum says, they wouldn't still be in production after all these years - every springer fan should own a 35...
    Fully agree.

And, don't take young Tinners TOO seriously regarding this matter. He likes a bit of banter and jest, y'know. And I have seen him concede that they are, indeed, excellent rifles. He just has an issue with the looks, that's it. And, as we all know, looks are very subjective and personal.

He did once tell us why he has this historical hatred for them, but I really can't remember what reason he gave us.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    He did once tell us why he has this historical hatred for them, but I really can't remember what reason he gave us.
    I think it reminds him of that other great German fugly Angela Merkel

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I think it reminds him of that other great German fugly Angela Merkel

Pete
    He hasn't!

Has he??????