Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I make idiots look good......

Laugh!!

Hi paul,

Cheers for sharing this with us.
    I too am notoriously clumsy,
    all run for cover when I approach.
    So I know the feeling of complete and utter hoplessness.

My worst obsession is tightening mounts hate it.

Cheers William

Can someone who lives near Paul, and who KNOWS what they are doing, go round to his and do the damn thing properly - PLEASE???
    Left to his own devices, I will be reading his obitiary shortly.
    ATB, Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Can someone who lives near Paul, and who KNOWS what they are doing, go round to his and do the damn thing properly - PLEASE???
    Left to his own devices, I will be reading his obitiary shortly.
    ATB, Eric
    A bit extreme!- although it may be the obituary of the PCB I will freely admit.

Just cut the old display off, leaving the legs still soldered in the circuit board. Then use a fine tip soldering iron and a pair of needle nose pliers to remove each severed leg one by one.
    Clean each hole out (there are 40) with a drill.
    Takes a while to jiggle the new display into the all the holes (someone on the original post suggested an 'alignment tool' - whatever one of those is)
    Then just solder all the legs back in.

This is a blacksmith's approach by the way. Please no doomladen comments about static electricity. Don't forget to wear your glasses if your're over 45 - or you'll not see a damn thing.

Make a mental note never to shoot the thing again. It does get easier the second time though....

...I ended up having to guess which way up the new display goes - seems these electronics supplier types don't cater for idiots.
    The display has a sort of ident thing - as you look at the screen the ident should be on the left hand side.
    Somebody may be along to say that these things are so damn smart that it doesn't matter which way up you fit them, until them I'd stick with the ident on the left.
    all the best
    c

Chris - thanks - that is exactly the help I wanted.

I would not have thought of cutting off the display. Removing each residual prong afterwards makes perfect sense - certainly a damn sight easier than trying to unsolder 40 connections and taking off the component part. Also a huge help saying which way round it goes.

Thanks.

P.S. I like the "blacksmiths approach". In my fathers time there was a similar expression -"boilermakers screwdriver" - a hammer.
    Last edited by PaulR; 10-09-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Look for a dot on the display casing next to a leg that should indicate leg no 1.

Had a look at the data sheet pin/leg no 1 is bottom left.
    Last edited by acmsarh; 10-09-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: more info

Paul

You can clean the old solder away with a desoldering tool, it's a suction pump that is operated by thumb and resembles a large hyperdermic syringe..

I don't think that fleabay can be linked to on here so look at item number 300464035122, these things do a great job of sucking up solder once the iron has been applied

they're not expensive either

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Sorry to keep posting - I have now ordered 2 screens from RS. (I am now PLR Electronics btw!)

I have a soldering iron although it has been some years since I used it for close electrical work. My first question - how do you remove the old screen? - I have visions of heating the soldered connections then wiping them whilst molten to remove the solder thus freeing the "prong" - is this right.

In all honesty I really do need this information.
    Ideally with one of these Desolder Pumps.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97040

Or Desolder Braid

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=69790

HTH

Mark

I must learn to read and type faster.

Mark

Welshairgunner is offline Vertically challenged, but a Master of Llap Goch
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    As I have no pride I will share this with you - at least it will give you a good laugh before the weekend starts.

This arrived today:-

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showprodu...20Chronographs

I was really excited. I set it up on a tripod and first tried out a Hurricane pistol.

Then I tried the Vulcan rifle - I stumbled as I squeezed the trigger and.. shot the display screen thus destroying it beyond repair. What a complete t**t!!!!

So - looking on the bright side - it has only cost me £125 to find out the Hurricane (.22) fires at 343 fps - Bargain.
    You mug

Richard

De-solder braid works well RS or Maplins as the Man above said,

BOBL, Bernard.

A happy mug, I sense...

Not sure about "happy" but I realised, as soon as I had done it what an idiot I was. Then I thought - ok - £125 down the pan. Went off and moaned for 15minutes. After I thought - what the hell, sometimes you get it wrong.

However - the posts on here have shown me that maybe it can be rescued. I am off to Maplins tomorrow and I'll go for the desolder options - so when the new screen arrives from RS I may be in a position to install it.

In my favour I do make models - so am used to (now I am 58) peering through X4 specs when going for fine detail.

Maybe all is not yet lost?

just got one of these

i hope i dont do the same lol.. hope you get a replacement and maybe next time dont load your weapon of test until you are in place to test lol... quiet fortunate that you didnt shoot something else other than your screen

atvb

max...
    Last edited by snock; 10-09-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: txt spk