Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter RB2 tune

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    But the superstar and the rb2 have similar powerplants so how can one be a contender and t'other be a clunkers??
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    But the superstar and the rb2 have similar powerplants so how can one be a contender and t'other be a clunkers??
    Something to do with barrel resonance and the trigger? Big Seth had one back in the day and did everything he could to make the RB2 shoot straight and it ended up in the bin I think.

My BSA Firebird PCP with the same breech type arrangement had an accuracy problem, and after a phone call to John Bowkett (gosh I actually spoke to him, and got free useful advice!) I reseated the barrel and it shot very accurately.

Is it a matter of seating the barrel on a 'Sporter?

The BSA Stutzen RB2 is a truly beautiful rifle but horrible to shoot and inaccurate. My old 1973 BSA Meteor can outshoot it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The BSA Stutzen RB2 is a truly beautiful rifle but horrible to shoot and inaccurate. My old 1973 BSA Meteor can outshoot it.
    but does respond to a fairly serious tune, as above . i think it should be accurate too, when it all settles and i test fully.

not much you can do about the TP length, it's intrinsic to the design. you could maybe save 5mm but no more, but you cant really machine back the existing design. i'm tempted to make a sliding breach version from a scrapper action i have someday, just because. and stick a rekord trigger in it.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    but does respond to a fairly serious tune, as above . i think it should be accurate too, when it all settles and i test fully.

not much you can do about the TP length, it's intrinsic to the design. you could maybe save 5mm but no more, but you cant really machine back the existing design. i'm tempted to make a sliding breach version from a scrapper action i have someday, just because. and stick a rekord trigger in it.
    So you want to make a crap Pro-Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Pro sports are finiky also. I hated mine as it was hold sensitive as hell and the underlever hurt my hands if i had a good go down the range. Id rather a tx anyday. The prosport inderlever is the most uncomfortable i have used.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Thank you Jon for putting this info up and for having a go at tuning it, it's nice to read something different for a change and something that is close to my heart, like I said on the other thread, I can't believe how different the RB2 shoots to the Superstar and considering the piston has a centre rod like the TX/97 so in theory should have some sort of shooting characteristics like them, it certainly would be nice to see someone build a superdoopersporter with sliding breech/rotating piston, especially if it's in a beautiful rifle like the stutzen.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

it's better, as the lever can be returned before loading.. so much more comfy to use. Shot cycle and trigger are not quite there though
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 18-11-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

As always, very concise and informative, Jon.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    it's better, as the lever can be returned before loading.. so much more comfy to use. Shot cycle and trigger are not quite there though
    Just kidding.

So, in factory trim, does the Mk7 tap-loader actually have a nicer firing cycle than the RB2?

And thanks for explaining why I don’t like the way the Superstar shoots.

Just kidding.

So, in factory trim, does the Mk7 tap-loader actually have a nicer firing cycle than the RB2?

Well my Carbine S shoots far better than my RB2 did, admittedly my S has a tuning kit fitted but so did the RB2.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I remember my first shots with a .177 Superstar, I asked "who tuned it?". It was standard.
    I remember my first shots with an . 22 RB2 Stutzen and asked "where are my teeth?" It was standard.
    Go figure..

yup, the tap loaders as standard all seem to shoot better than the rb2s.

and the RB2 airsporter has the additional problem compared with the RB2 superstar, of a heavier piston - which is the last thing you want when you have a large TP / lots of lost volume, as it just makes it more slammy - and of course more recoil.

hence I lightened the piston, reduced the TP, and tightened up the seal

The longer barrel on my std airsporter RB2 is much less slammy than the stutzen - presumably down to the longer barrel maintaining back pressure better, reducing piston slam. I reckon if I tune that one the same way, it could be quite nice

Clunkers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Something to do with barrel resonance and the trigger? Big Seth had one back in the day and did everything he could to make the RB2 shoot straight and it ended up in the bin I think.

My BSA Firebird PCP with the same breech type arrangement had an accuracy problem, and after a phone call to John Bowkett (gosh I actually spoke to him, and got free useful advice!) I reseated the barrel and it shot very accurately.

Is it a matter of seating the barrel on a 'Sporter?

Nothing wrong at all with the performance of any Airsporter , especially an RB2 , especially a tuned RB2
    Stunning in a word .

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Maximus, although I have had a few shots with Superstars (and very nice they were, too), I've never stripped one. But have worked on the Mercury and Supersport.

I'm guessing that the Superstar internals are more closely related to the Supersport. These, seemingly, can be made to shoot nicer, especially the break barrel with the shorter TP. Triggers more fiddly to deal with, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi Maximus, although I have had a few shots with Superstars (and very nice they were, too), I've never stripped one. But have worked on the Mercury and Supersport.

I'm guessing that the Superstar internals are more closely related to the Supersport. These, seemingly, can be made to shoot nicer, especially the break barrel with the shorter TP. Triggers more fiddly to deal with, though.
    Yes Tone the Supersport is identical inside to the Superstar, it's just the cocking linkage is all different.

Pete