Thread: My impressions - BSA Super 10 a few weeks on after a blueprint.

My impressions - BSA Super 10 a few weeks on after a blueprint.

Hello All,

A few weeks back I wrote a review of my 1st impressions of a BSA Super 10 MK2 (http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371180) following up on this are my impressions after a few weeks of use and the blueprinting done by John Bowkett.

Appearance :

The appearance of the gun has altered slightly as I've now fitted what I believe to be a "UK Neil alloy" silencer to replace the Evolution Vortex one and modified the safety catch slightly. Other than the mentioned the gun is exactly as it was previously.

The rifle in use :

Loading and cocking:

The Super 10 has a rotary spring loaded magazine which originally had plastic internals the newer style magazine sees these changed to aluminium internals which improve their operation. As part of the blueprint John Bowkett serviced the magazine the result is a smoother magazine which performs flawlessly.

The cocking bolt originally has a small knob, I have replaced this with a "big knob" bought from the auction site. I found the big knob better to handle and less awkward on my fingers helping make the gun easier to operate. It was a little gritty before the blueprint but since it has been done it's as smooth as silk now. There was some sloppiness in the bolt after I'd fitted the T. R. Robb aluminium spring guide but this had been sorted during the blueprint. The original safety catch had damaged threads and a new safety catch had been fitted at my request, this made the safety smoother in operation and I was able to apply my previous modification properly without the need for a larger screw to compensate for the damaged threads.

Zeroing and accuracy :

When the gun arrived back from John Bowkett it was accompanied by a sheet of paper showing 10 shot groupings with various pellets over a 50 yard distance. The best of these proved to be JSB Exacts in 5.52's which gave a 10 shot group of 20mm (1p coin size) Zeroing the scope in was no hardship as I'd already had a Tasco 2-6 x 32AO scope fitted to the gun. The accuracy was excellent as previously and a few shots saw it spot on.

I was zeroing at my mates small holding after zeroing I noticed loads of bluebottles round one particular area close to where I'd zeroed. It turned out to be dog muck, just for fun I put a piece of board up at 15 yards smeared with a little dog muck, thus began my "hunting" session I had a full magazine and fired all 10 shots hitting 5 out of the 10 with the rest very close misses. Based on those shots I thought there's nothing I can do to improve on that so I sat and had a natter and a coffee with my mate and a couple of others.

General overall summary :

The Super 10 in its standard form, or at least as it was when I got it, proved to be a good gun and a "keeper" as far as I was concerned. I'd read about the "blueprinting service offered by John Bowkett and thought why not? it's my ideal gun and I want it the best I can for hunting. I took the plunge and sent it off, now thanks to the attention of John Bowkett a good gun has now been turned into an excellent gun.

I'll never win any prizes for my marksmanship but at least I'll know that any missed quarry are down to me not the gun. Yeah it had cost me an extra £75.00 plus p&p to make it perform how it should have from the factory but a mass produced gun will never be as good one that has had individual attention or if it does the owner is one very lucky man.

Thanks for looking
    Regards
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"

I had one it's performance was excellent, very good trigger, accuracy wasted on me, reliable and never lost air. But it was heavy and the mag was awful which was the main reason I sold it.

Ora

Quote Originally Posted by ora8i View Post
    I had one it's performance was excellent, very good trigger, accuracy wasted on me, reliable and never lost air. But it was heavy and the mag was awful which was the main reason I sold it.

Ora
    The new all metal mags are much improved Ora Give them a try.

i just have rapids now but still love my super 10s ive had 4 or more i have sold my jb one to my brother and its every bit as much as a gun as mt rapid mk1......my mk2 rapid is a very good tool fac .22 btas reg £1250 worth so should be good..i must be honest and say i do want a bsa r10 .177 very nice.
    i have 1 or 2

I've had three S10's, one of which was fully John Bowketted...lightweight reg, big bolt knob, new baffling in the bull barrel shroud.

Loved everything about the guns...except the weight & even worse the balance.

I keep toying with the idea of fitting a tactical stock off an Ultra, changing the bottle for a 280cc Theoben (balances much better than the 200cc, don't know why...it just does) & letting Tweaky fit me one of his regulators with a built in pressure gauge. Now that I believe would be what the S10 should always have been & perhaps what the compromise that is the R10 too!

ATB

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoto View Post
    I've had three S10's, one of which was fully John Bowketted...lightweight reg, big bolt knob, new baffling in the bull barrel shroud.

Loved everything about the guns...except the weight & even worse the balance.

I keep toying with the idea of fitting a tactical stock off an Ultra, changing the bottle for a 280cc Theoben (balances much better than the 200cc, don't know why...it just does) & letting Tweaky fit me one of his regulators with a built in pressure gauge. Now that I believe would be what the S10 should always have been & perhaps what the compromise that is the R10 too!

ATB

Ken
    Hey up Ken,

The Super 10 has a regulator fitted as standard, the so called "cigar" tube is the regulator. It will give up to 50 useable shots per charge even on a power level of approx 30 ft/lbs.

Regards
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"

Thanks for that Dave

I know the S10 is regulated, but the cigar tube is a wee bit agricultural hence one of the reasons I would have Tweaky do me one of his design..much lighter, much more air efficient & in my experience totally trouble free....not something I could say about the original!

Anyway, you pays your money & takes your choice I guess

ATB

Ken

Woooo woo wo back up. Let me get this straight. Your smearing dog shite on a board to shoot flys, in a test accuracy, but also for a little hunting session? Err
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Holy dog poo , 12 years in between posts ,