Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bin-diving

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

More bin-diving

I have been too busy for shooting this week with work-work and work on the house, but this morning I escaped before anyone realised what I was up to: "I made you a bacon sandwich and here's a cup of tea. I'm off to gun club, the work phone is on the dresser..."

Sounds of doors slamming and screeching tyres.

I don't know if news of my poubelle exploration has spread, but in the running boar stand there was a neat bundle of 9mm shells on the edge of the bench next to the bin. Lovely.

I still found more in the bin, under the benches and along the front of the stand.

I bought a new gun last Friday, a lovely Bettinsoli extra light o/u m/c in 12g. It wasn't long before the words "rifled choke" and "paradox" floated across my ipad screen. Oh Lordy! I need those!

Further research found the Svarog slug mould, a little later I found the diablo set with five weight options for about £40. I ordered it from Russia Sunday night, it arrived yesterday. Proper impressed I am.

Last night I was idly looking around the pan drawer for something suitable for melting lead when Mrs Bum caught me red handed. "Not on your Nelly!" Was the gist of the next few minutes tutorial on correct and appropriate adult behaviour. She insisted I buy a Lee Production 4 lead melter. Who am I to argue!?

Anyway, that's all stuff for the future as it will be next week before the melter arrives, but today I had had more weighty thoughts. Lead!

Our running boar stand has a dead impressive set of knock downs at 25m with louvered shutters at the back to funnel all the lead into hoppers underneath (See it here) Once I was out of the brass bin I was in there with a box to fill.

I should've brought a bigger box, 3.5kg is all it could hold, and that was just a couple of scoops from the top of one hopper. I later went down to the sandpit at the bottom of the range to stand some cans up and found many, many 12g slugs littering the bank. I will return next week with a trailer......

So, next week I will be making some very big RWS Hobby pellets to try. I intend to just pop them into 2 1/2" shells I've emptied the shot out of (it was steel shot) and have at it.

Any advice from melters or moulders welcome.

i have a few lee melters but they dio drip which annoyed me so i bought a lyman big dipper which is great.
    i then bought a lyman mag 20 very cheaply and it doesnt drip at all and a pleasure to use......enjoy your casting and i hope your lee pot works for you

With the svarog mould make sure it and in particular the pin is hot before you start casting.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have been too busy for shooting this week with work-work and work on the house, but this morning I escaped before anyone realised what I was up to: "I made you a bacon sandwich and here's a cup of tea. I'm off to gun club, the work phone is on the dresser..."

Sounds of doors slamming and screeching tyres.

I don't know if news of my poubelle exploration has spread, but in the running boar stand there was a neat bundle of 9mm shells on the edge of the bench next to the bin. Lovely.

I still found more in the bin, under the benches and along the front of the stand.

I bought a new gun last Friday, a lovely Bettinsoli extra light o/u m/c in 12g. It wasn't long before the words "rifled choke" and "paradox" floated across my ipad screen. Oh Lordy! I need those!

Further research found the Svarog slug mould, a little later I found the diablo set with five weight options for about £40. I ordered it from Russia Sunday night, it arrived yesterday. Proper impressed I am.

Last night I was idly looking around the pan drawer for something suitable for melting lead when Mrs Bum caught me red handed. "Not on your Nelly!" Was the gist of the next few minutes tutorial on correct and appropriate adult behaviour. She insisted I buy a Lee Production 4 lead melter. Who am I to argue!?

Anyway, that's all stuff for the future as it will be next week before the melter arrives, but today I had had more weighty thoughts. Lead!

Our running boar stand has a dead impressive set of knock downs at 25m with louvered shutters at the back to funnel all the lead into hoppers underneath (See it here) Once I was out of the brass bin I was in there with a box to fill.

I should've brought a bigger box, 3.5kg is all it could hold, and that was just a couple of scoops from the top of one hopper. I later went down to the sandpit at the bottom of the range to stand some cans up and found many, many 12g slugs littering the bank. I will return next week with a trailer......

So, next week I will be making some very big RWS Hobby pellets to try. I intend to just pop them into 2 1/2" shells I've emptied the shot out of (it was steel shot) and have at it.

Any advice from melters or moulders welcome.
    Make sure the lead slug is not heavier than the shot load you are swapping it for or it will put your pressures up. And check the slug will go through the choke on your gun if you are not using a cylinder choke.

I cast Minnie bullets. I find that tilting the mould slightly as I pour the lead helps to stop an air pocket in the bottom of the mould which causes a mis-shaped bullet..

Get some beeswax to use as a flux when melting the lead to get rid of any merde in it.

ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i have a few lee melters but they dio drip which annoyed me so i bought a lyman big dipper which is great.
    i then bought a lyman mag 20 very cheaply and it doesnt drip at all and a pleasure to use......enjoy your casting and i hope your lee pot works for you
    Thanks. I have seen the drip issue and the grinding paste fix. I intend to do that before I start.

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    With the svarog mould make sure it and in particular the pin is hot before you start casting.
    I have watched vids about heating and keeping the sweet spot. Lot's to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Make sure the lead slug is not heavier than the shot load you are swapping it for or it will put your pressures up. And check the slug will go through the choke on your gun if you are not using a cylinder choke.

I cast Minnie bullets. I find that tilting the mould slightly as I pour the lead helps to stop an air pocket in the bottom of the mould which causes a mis-shaped bullet..
    I will be starting with a 24g for 24g straight swap, and thanks for the tilt tip!

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Get some beeswax to use as a flux when melting the lead to get rid of any merde in it.

ATB
    James

I got some tealight candles in readyness. I have sifted through and removed as much debris as I could, it will be interesting what the yield is from 3.5kg of dust and crap.

Oh, and I want to get a silicone dinosaur tray for making clean ingots. Does anyone here use silicone?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Most of that dust is in fact fine lead dust so chuck it all in.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I use one of those trays designed for making multiple cupcakes. You might want to clean off any ptfe non-stick before you use it as fluorine isn't nice. I'm sure you can find one in the pan cupboard.

I melt led on a gas camping burner and use a flat bottomed stainless pan with a metal handle. Make sure the handle rivets are good.

BB

I got some tealight candles in readyness. I have sifted through and removed as much debris as I could, it will be interesting what the yield is from 3.5kg of dust and crap.

Oh, and I want to get a silicone dinosaur tray for making clean ingots. Does anyone here use silicone?
    Yeah, I think any wax will work for flux. Did you watch that video I posted regarding re-claiming range lead?

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Yeah, I think any wax will work for flux. Did you watch that video I posted regarding re-claiming range lead?
    No, got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Most of that dust is in fact fine lead dust so chuck it all in.
    The hoppers are so compacted with it further down it's almost gone solid.

No, got a link?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTRwfyvIbkc