Thread: Looking for American classic airguns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I am still wondering if your T&C 108 is not the only one ever stocked in elm? Or at least the only one known? I challenge anyone to find a pic of another one.
    It is un stained maple; the previous owner, a collector who had the Crosman for 11 years, rejuvenated the stock. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have understood that the stocks were stained maple.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    It is un stained maple; the previous owner, a collector who had the Crosman for 11 years, rejuvenated the stock. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have understood that the stocks were stained maple.
    Yes the stocks were stained maple but yours is one of the last made given it is a thin stock, through safety with serial number, probably made 1950-1 In the 1950s they started using elm and I am sure yours is elm, I’ve seen so many elm Crosman stocks. The graining is very distinctive. I was looking at that gun on Gunbroker for a week and was thinking of buying it just because of the stock! See what others think: here is the link you sent me. Again yours is the only 108 I’ve seen, that is very cool. If it’s not the only one it is certainly one of the very few.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...pst10gaskh.png

Classic Crosman Elm from the 1950s from the Vintage Gallery:

Last edited by 45flint; 10-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes the stocks were stained maple but yours is one of the last made given it is a thin stock, through safety with serial number, probably made 1950-1 In the 1950s they started using elm and I am sure yours is elm, I’ve seen so many elm Crosman stocks. The graining is very distinctive. I was looking at that gun on Gunbroker for a week and was thinking of buying it just because of the stock! See what others think: here is the link you sent me. Again yours is the only 108 I’ve seen, that is very cool. If it’s not the only one it is certainly one of the very few.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...pst10gaskh.png

Classic Crosman Elm from the 1950s from the Vintage Gallery:

That is very interesting. I wasn't aware. I have seen elm stocks only a few times, on one-off designs by John Bowkett. Wych elm - normal elm was said to be too unstable.

Crosman used Elm extensively in the 1950s. My theory is at that time Dutch Elm disease was destroying all the elm trees in the US. The wood was probably dirt cheap? They used maple after WW2 cause they bought it as war surplus. They liked to make a profit.

Question

Not a Crosman but I have an old Haenel model 1 that has strange timber fitted, I was told it was Elm among other stuff!!

It's really strange, lose up it seems to resemble Oak!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Not a Crosman but I have an old Haenel model 1 that has strange timber fitted, I was told it was Elm among other stuff!!

It's really strange, lose up it seems to resemble Oak!!

John
    It does look like elm?