Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longbow strip down

Longbow strip down

Looking for some info on stripping a Webley Longbow. Checked the tube but could not find anything. Any ideas ?

Longbow

Drift out the 2 trigger pins and slide the trigger unit out and undo the bolt that the rear trigger guard screws into but be careful as this releases the main spring .
    Last edited by jonny neate; 14-07-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks for the info, sounds straightforward.

There seems to be a strip down guide included in the owners manual, you don't get that with a BSA...

http://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co....bow_Manual.pdf

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    It says series 2 model.

I didn't know they did 2 mk's.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It says series 2 model.

I didn't know they did 2 mk's.
    The date and address on the manual suggest it dates from after Webley folded, and Longbows were being made in Turkey - that could be what the series 2 means.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The date and address on the manual suggest it dates from after Webley folded, and Longbows were being made in Turkey - that could be what the series 2 means.
    A yes of course.
    Master Debater

Ok, stripped the Longbow down, degreased, checked over, relubed and fitted together and the bl***y thing will not cock. Pulled apart several times to inspect, but no joy, still not latching.
    It looks as though the safety is being activated too soon and so stopping the trigger cocking. I`ve give up for today. I will have another go tomorrow. In the meantime if anybody has a suggestion it will be well received. I did cock the trigger before installing by the way.

Longbow

BBS member topdog is the master on all things longbows. Dare say he'll be along in a moment to help. Mach 1.5

Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Ok, stripped the Longbow down, degreased, checked over, relubed and fitted together and the bl***y thing will not cock. Pulled apart several times to inspect, but no joy, still not latching.
    It looks as though the safety is being activated too soon and so stopping the trigger cocking. I`ve give up for today. I will have another go tomorrow. In the meantime if anybody has a suggestion it will be well received. I did cock the trigger before installing by the way.
    There's a part on the back edge of the trigger that needs to be pushed into the trigger housing before you fit the unit back in , it's something to do with the safety .

If I remember correctly you will need to just cock the trigger before assembling into the action, being careful not to let it off,when the action is fitted into the stock release the trigger and then it should cock !

I give up on trying to get this thing to cock. I have tried several times this morning. I have not changed anything on the rifle just a clean and relube. I have even tried without the mainspring fitted, still will not cock. Really desperate now. I need a solution.

I thought there would have been a bit more knowledge around. Still no nearer solving the problem. I think I will strip the trigger as a last resort. Rather annoying as it was cocking Ok before strip down. Wish I had just not bothered.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I thought there would have been a bit more knowledge around. Still no nearer solving the problem. I think I will strip the trigger as a last resort. Rather annoying as it was cocking Ok before strip down. Wish I had just not bothered.
    I've had this happen to me a few times and have tried to explain what works for me .

Thanks, I did locate the part you referred to and yes I had not installed correctly, but after rectifying that it still would not latch. I have removed the safety to check but that did not alter anything. The longbow does not use a rod to cock the trigger but uses a notch in the piston. It seems as though the piston travels so far back and starts to slip over the sear but then fails to activate a secondary sear which is the part you mentioned in your previous post. I am going to bite the bullet and strip the trigger to inspect the sears.