Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
I think that airgun collecting as a hobby, and the number of participants within it, will shrink over time, due simply to the demographics involved. In the 1950's/60's every kid had an airgun, and shot it anywhere he fancied. He started with a cheap Diana and sometimes eventually managed to get a BSA or Webley.

When he grew up, he aspired to own the air guns he either couldn't afford or wasn't allowed when he was younger. and suddenly he found himself with a few old airguns and became a collector! And his collection grew, and he shared his passion with other blokes of his age, he joined clubs, and more fellas bought old airguns.

None of that happens any more. Far fewer youngsters buy airguns, a) because they have so many other interests, mainly computer based, b) shooting them is more restricted, and c) society disapproves more than ever. However some of these lads (or lasses) may well start collecting, but it will be those airguns they remember from their youth....
I don't dispute any of what you say, Chris. Especially when it comes to production guns made in large quantities and that nostalgia-for-youth factor.

But I would just point to the 'known unknown', which is the thing that hasn't been invented yet.

Maybe there will be a cultural backlash against all things plastic and modern, driving up the value of wood and steel? Maybe future laws against airguns will be directed against modern ones, excluding those made before 1970, instead of 1939 at present?

30 years ago one could have made the same observation you make, but not knowing that the internet would come along and give airgun collectors and the (at least, rare) collectables market a major shot in the arm...