Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The amazing rotating sighting system of the Diana 50b rifle

The amazing rotating sighting system of the Diana 50b rifle

One of the joys of collecting is discovering new things about a gun you just purchased. The Diana 50b rifle I acquired yesterday has the most amazingly flexible sighting system I have ever encountered on a rifle. I am attaching a slide show to illustrate. First at the tip of the barrel is a rotary dial which by turning can rotate an internal “star” that has 4 different sighting posts. At the rear sight you have the peep which can be removed to reveal a plate which can be rotated to give you 4 different types of open sight notches. If you desire the open sight there is a dovetail plate on the middle of the rifle where the rear assembly can be mounted to give the proper distancing. You don’t see this every day, just a lot of fun to see it all work. Will I use it all probably not, but who cares. The open sights would add to the long stock military look? I think thumbing through the pics will illustrate.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3B2bM

This was available in the 1950’s, not surprisingly the rotary sight was dropped, not sure exactly when?. These rifles in various forms went on for 40 years but followed the usual pattern of most vintage guns, cost savings eat away as time goes on.
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-04-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Sheer quality. It speaks of the understanding between the engineers who designed it, and the managers who would see it into production. A tragedy that such a great name is now used to sell such poor quality.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Very interesting, I've seen a rearsight arrangement like that on another gun, without the clip on dioptre. Can't for the life of me remember which one though.

Will keep an eye out for one now.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Very interesting, I've seen a rearsight arrangement like that on another gun, without the clip on dioptre. Can't for the life of me remember which one though.

Dave

The later BSA Meteors had a peep sight plate adaptor. Was that it?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Stunning sight setup.
    Good deals with these members

Excellent front sight, pretty good rear sight too, only wish they had designed the windage adjuster with a wheel instead of the dinky little square peg, but then to be fair if you compensate for the wind by aiming off how often do you need to adjust it?

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Excellent front sight, pretty good rear sight too, only wish they had designed the windage adjuster with a wheel instead of the dinky little square peg, but then to be fair if you compensate for the wind by aiming off how often do you need to adjust it?
    My square peg seems round?

there was a little multi tool of a screwdriver blade & square 'socket' for adjusting the sight. I think it should be square so it can be rotated to make lateral adjustments.

there was a little multi tool of a screwdriver blade & square 'socket' for adjusting the sight. I think it should be square so it can be rotated to make lateral adjustments.
    Read on a post some of the guns had round adjusting knobs for your fingers and some had ones you needed a tool. Be interesting to see a pic of yours.

tool

yes and it came in a brown plastic wallet. it resembled some of the dartboard dart wallets you get.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The later BSA Meteors had a peep sight plate adaptor. Was that it?

ATB
    Ian
    Don't think so, was relying on a nights sleep to bring it to the front. Sadly nothing.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Some wallets were blue, well at least one was, is...

Weihrauch use a rotating four way rear sight now.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Weihrauch use a rotating four way rear sight now.
    Does look familiar

Didnt Falke use something similar on the top of the range rifles?
    Last edited by greenwayjames; 19-04-2018 at 07:34 AM.