Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: and they all shout "why buy a gun from europe"

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    The EU free trade laws will stop them doing that.
    Same as the EU freedom of movement means we don't need a passport?

We only get the brown, smelly end of the stick where Europe's concerned. (Allegedly)
    God rest ye jelly mental men

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    My local RFD is too expensive and has hardly any selection, he is almost £100 dearer than other dealers like SFS etc, luckily for me I'm not really interested in new rifles as I like old guns but if he is that much dearer than other UK dealers then I can understand why others go abroad, I don't mind paying £20-30 more for a rifle to help my local shop but £100 and a shitty service from the uninterested nipper who works in there, I'm not happy with.

Pete
    like you say mate,£20-£30 wouldnt be so bad,but it never is that little,and the servicedont get me started on that!

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    and how much will you winge and bitch when some rfd's in this country decide they cannot compete and shut down?
    support them or lose them.simples.
    it really is not all about the money.
    Well it is to UK RFD's that why they charge too much.
    Ask yourself how these German and Dutch RFD's can sell these guns at these prices and still run a profitable business ?

Quote Originally Posted by gunfun View Post
    well it is to uk rfd's that why they charge too much.
    Ask yourself how these german and dutch rfd's can sell these guns at these prices and still run a profitable business ?
    here here!

Quote Originally Posted by evenbad View Post
    The floodgates are open from EU like it or not, do we all honestly think the GTA had a meeting solely on trying to ban The Steyr S/A in particular or try and stop people buying from the EU from pellets to air rifles etc.
    Its a case of compete or try to stop people voting with their pocket!!
    Have you the slightest scrap of evidence to back any part of that up, or is that yet another of the myths grabbed from the thin air of your paranoia?
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Ask yourself this question. An Air Arms S410 sells brand new here for about £595 and you have to buy it face to face. It's made in the UK with parts that cost sterling money to produce.

A dealer in Holland has to import that rifle, paying for it with his weak euros, so for him we are expensive. Far more expensive than manufacturers in the Eurozone such as Gamo, Steyr, Weihrauch, etc.

But the Dutch dealer will sell you that rifle (in euros) for the equivalent of not much more than £500, plus about another tenner to courier it to your front door.

That can't be blamed on the exchange rate.

By the way, VAT in Holland is 21%.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

and how much will you winge and bitch when some rfd's in this country decide they cannot compete and shut down?
    It is to those of us who haven't got much of it.
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0100 View Post
    It is to those of us who haven't got much of it.
    go on jeff, you tell him!

The aspect of this which hasn't been mentioned so far is, it's our exchequer that loses out. When we do a personal import, it's the seller's country that pockets the VAT.

The total amount of VAT that airgun sales generates may be small in relation to the whole, but in principle I'd rather pay whatever tax I am required to pay, to this country's administration and not another's.

But the savings to be had rather outweigh altruistic feelings.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Agree with this.

AND I AM NOT MINTED. Four kids, mortgage and everything that goes with it.

I want my local, friendly RFD to remain in business.

Imagine how different the airgunning landscape would be if there were no proper shops to be able to nip into, view and try guns, just nip in and buy the odd tin of pellets, spares, oil etc. And I'll guess that they help generate those all-important newbie purchases, without which the long term future of our sport would look very bleak.

Dealers offering poor service and product knowledge and those charging over the odds prices wouldn't be missed in my book.

What I'd like to see is the UK manufacturers, the importers and the trade get together and re-align prices. That way, everyone's happy. And the good shops remain to make a living. Certainly guns sourced from the EU, with the current exchange rate situation, could be price re-aligned?

As I say, I certainly am not minted. And couldn't justify paying large over-the-odds premiums. But if they were the same, or a little higher, would rather buy here, from my local shop.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by shauny View Post
    go on jeff, you tell him!
    LOL, It's true though, isn't it ?
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

The VCR Act, like all stupid legislation, has come back to bite the Exchequer in the arse.

If it weren't for that pile of stinking stupidity I'd still be buying all my guns from Ramsbottom and BAR.

It isn't just the cost of the gun in the UK. It's having to drive miles to the shop and back to pick it up.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Hi, I am afraid that I have gone the EU way. I am not tight just have to be careful now a days. I tried to get a AA S200 and a dealer was going to try and supply a second hand one £275/300.( I waited and it went very quiet. ) Asked how much for a new one £396, too much for my budget, sorry.
    Searched round and the cheapest seemed to be £365. Went to 'the other side' Prague and the price was £245.
    If I could have bought one here at close to that price then I would have.
    Thats the way it was for me.
    All the best.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Analysis of European Union data reveals that the UK pays the highest business rates of any country in Europe – and more than France and Germany combined.
    Try running a business when you are up against some of the highest rates in europe.
    Buy your rifles from abroad put your tax into their economy whilst their people are working here and sending money back there. We also have one of the highest fuel prices in europe to boot. On average some rfd's make 10-20% on a gun sale after the tax man has had his cut. I wonder how many complaining about our prices would like to earn just 20% to take home of their wages. By the way sir you earned £1000 this month but we will only give you 20% of what you have earned. If we leave the eu your rifles from abroad may cost you a bit more and then the free trade deal will be gone. If as already said you don't support your own rfd's and they go to the wall then fine but it will be a great loss to many. I quite often have to sort a problem with a broken gun or some other problem a customer has. It is a long way to germany for some of the smaller issues that some rfds provide free of charge or the advice some give to some one who just walks in off the street for some help.

evenbad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Have you the slightest scrap of evidence to back any part of that up, or is that yet another of the myths grabbed from the thin air of your paranoia?
    Me being paranoid you still haven't answered my last post with a meeting with you and GTA to state both sides yet again didn't think you would agree! If the GTA legality meeting was above board ask them to publish the minutes of the LEGALITY meeting with HO! As you remind us its for our own good as we cant be trusted to be safety conscious and not use them for criminal drive bys as you stated in your previous posts and you accuse me of being paranoid!!
    If the GTA wanted clarification why didn't they invite an organisation such as BASC ! nope rather have meeting behind closed doors, hey somethings never change., except we are all wiser and wont be treated like sheep.
    If you care to read my post I actually state I think or isn't that allowed on here anymore.
    Also you have had an e mail from Mr, Lassman [HO] addressed to you from the HO, Dear Terry . yet you have previously stated that you weren't privy to such information about the GTA meeting as stated by you on the S/A thread mm seems as if it must have slipped your mind and all of a sudden the HO are informing you!
    Look forward to your reply should be informative for all to see.
    Last edited by evenbad; 26-06-2015 at 01:41 AM.