Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High End Vs Budget Scope Mounts

I've asked this question many times. I always get a fairly even spread of answers, both arguments having their merits. So lets try looking at it this way: A few select firms bring out a new pellet. It's made to excruciating levels of quality and uniformity. It doesn't really give a marked difference over pellets currently on offer though. It does however cost three times as much as current offerings. Do you pay three times as much to "guarantee" you are getting the best possible?

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    I've asked this question many times. I always get a fairly even spread of answers, both arguments having their merits. So lets try looking at it this way: A few select firms bring out a new pellet. It's made to excruciating levels of quality and uniformity. It doesn't really give a marked difference over pellets currently on offer though. It does however cost three times as much as current offerings. Do you pay three times as much to "guarantee" you are getting the best possible?
    Pellets will not act the same in all rifles.
    Quality mounts do.

I hardly think the cost of BKL mounts is prohibitive considering most will adorn a rifle with optics costing hundreds yet sit them in cheap mounts. Why would you ?
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Pellets will not act the same in all rifles.
    Quality mounts do.

I hardly think the cost of BKL mounts is prohibitive considering most will adorn a rifle with optics costing hundreds yet sit them in cheap mounts. Why would you ?
    I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying rob. Boot on other foot though: Pay more than strictly necessary, why would you? Just saying like.

I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying rob. Boot on other foot though: Pay more than strictly necessary, why would you? Just saying like.
    Well thats it you see I dont. I regard the purchase of BKL or Sportsmatch mounts an absolute necessity.
    The Leupold rings that Bootneck Bob mentioned are a luxury to me.
    B.A.S.C. member

30+ posts about quality mounts and not one mention of Apel.

I wont touch BKL mounts again after a bad set. In theory the legs should pull together evenly. In practice?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I've never needed to shim a scope in my life

Prevent the need rather than cure the fault

So you are going anal about aligning the outer scope tube to an action block but not the barrel ...
    but without the shim You just cross x the erector tube inside...

Fail!
    HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    30+ posts about quality mounts and not one mention of Apel. ldgrin
    I was wondering when you were going to pip in
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Ken, what rifle and scope do you use and how much did they cost?
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    Ken, what rifle and scope do you use and how much did they cost?
    Lots of rifles, lots of scopes. Cost what they cost. Some cost a fair bit, some didn't. I do know where you are coming from bob. You can't compare a rifle or a scope to a scope mount though.

Lots of rifles, lots of scopes. Cost what they cost. Some cost a fair bit, some didn't. I do know where you are coming from bob. You can't compare a rifle or a scope to a scope mount though.
    I think what bob may be getting at is that folk spend hundreds on rifles, sometimes similar on scopes and jib at the cost of spending 40 quid on a decent set of mounts.
    On some of my rifles, the mounts cost more than the scopes.
    B.A.S.C. member

I've got some budget scope mounts, the sort of thing that may have come with something I bought of the bay. I wouldn't ever use them or even sell them. To me they are budget rings. I think anything which is branded, hawkes, sportsmatch etc are above budget. Then there's your BKL higher end air gun then you can move on again to Warne, leupold etc which are your firearms mounts really and probably complete overkill for airguns unless you require a feature, like the quick release, for which you will pay a premium.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Ah well, there we have it. One mans budget mount is not the same as another mans budget mount. If we are talking "branded" mounts as being up to the job, ie not budget, then I reckon we are all singing off the same hymn sheet. Many people consider even branded mounts as being budget mounts when compared to some offerings, myself being one of them.

Well surely by this argument we may as well just buy the cheapest nastiest spitfire, marksman or Chinese no-name pellets on the market

But we don't do we ? we buy known good quality pellets from H&N, JSB etc which cost 3 or 4 times as much ,

That is a direct comparison to buying BKL, Sportsmatch or Hawke Match Mounts, None of which are "top end" by a long way (no soft alloy mount is "top end" ) they are however "better" & of known good quality.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well surely by this argument we may as well just buy the cheapest nastiest spitfire, marksman or Chinese no-name pellets on the market

But we don't do we ? we buy known good quality pellets from H&N, JSB etc which cost 3 or 4 times as much ,

That is a direct comparison to buying BKL, Sportsmatch or Hawke Match Mounts, None of which are "top end" by a long way (no soft alloy mount is "top end" ) they are however "better" & of known good quality.
    Yes you're right. We buy whatever pellets perform the best in a given barrel. BUT... if 'cheap and nasty' Spitfire gave you the same group size as JSB's, would you not be tempted to make a SPITFIRE purchase?