Thread: Why should I homeload?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    1) Quite difficult to use with a consistency which would compare with a weighed load (in fact probably impossible).

2) If you want to develop a load which is as accurate as possible then you will probably find that the sweet spot is not one of the scoop sizes but somewhere in between. Accuracy is not only for target shooting, most hunters want the best accuracy they can achieve so that they have the best chance of a humane kill (or can shoot at longer ranges with confidence).

not impossible at all
    actually it is very easy to throw consistent weights
    it is also easy to adapt a scoop to get inbetween should there not already be a scoop combo to get what you want

scoops can be modified with card discs inserted into the bottom.
    very satisfying to work up a load, know that a corresponding scoop is exactly what you need, no faffing ,no weighing, just charge and load

Quote Originally Posted by bewsh View Post
    not impossible at all
    it is also easy to adapt a scoop to get inbetween should there not already be a scoop combo to get what you want

very satisfying to work up a load, know that a corresponding scoop is exactly what you need, no faffing ,no weighing, just charge and load
    here you go
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Remember one thing.......If you *Muck up, it's very easy to destroy a perfectly good gun & possibly seriously injure yourself.

Why do I say this????? Well, this year alone, I've seen TWO rifles damaged/destroyed by bad handloads! Luckily only minor injuries to one guy & Red face to the other!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

too true

but more often down to basic mistake like wrong powder, wrong data. pistol powder in a rifle, wrong bullet weight for charge....

match your powder, bullet and case combo and it should be impossible to overcharge enough to blow up a rifle

slow the powder choice down so your best option is a 85-95% case fill
    doesn't matter whether you scoop or trickle then!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsh View Post
    not impossible at all

I agree that it is possible to develop a consistent technique with scoops, but with no scales you have no way to know if you are achieving consistency. Never tried it myself but I would expect that to get +- 0.1 gn would take quite a bit of care.

And, yes, factory ammo is charged using a volumetric dispenser - which is one of the reasons why a home loader can achieve better consistency than factory ammo.

And yes, scoops can be modified to dispense intermediate charges, and this probably works OK once you have found the sweet load, but load development would be a massive faff if you have to add a disc to reduce the scoop volume by some indeterminate amount try it, add another disc to try another indeterminate load et ever so very cetera. Exactly what thickness of disc is needed to reduce the charge by say 0.2 gn, and even if you knew that, where would you get such a thing from? So much easier with scales.

The OP has all he needs to make ammo which goes bang, [and a superfluous mallet]. Scales will assist greatly in load development, and probably pay for themselves by allowing him to zero in on the sweet load much more quickly (less wasted trial loads) - if he is so inclined that is - I knew shooters who were entirely happy with scooped loads and not much bothered with ultimate accuracy.....nothing wrong with that.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL