Thread: .577cal Pritchett rifle comes home with me today!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    Mel.
    Big favour to ask of you please. If I P.M my address, would you send me 10 of your slugs at .565 please?

I am trying to perfect Pritchett cartridges for an early '53. The Unions favourite .550s fly wide of the target board, .563s are without doubt better. I am getting 8 inch groups at 100yd with .568s and .569s. But they aren't quite taking enough grease down the bore with them. After a detail, ramming feels a bit gritty. Somewhere in between may be the answer.
    Please tell me about your rifle. BTW, 8" @100 yard is WAY better than the Union soldier's requirement of accuracy, which was ten shots into 18inches from standing at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Please tell me about your rifle. BTW, 8" @100 yard is WAY better than the Union soldier's requirement of accuracy, which was ten shots into 18inches from standing at 100 yards.
    It has a Frith manufactured lock, stamped Tower 1855. Solid barrel bands, with retaining springs in the forestock. Sold out of service marks. A retailers name on the stock, W.Procter. Stamped for the West Yorkshire Militia on the butt plate tang.

I did wonder if my group sizes were, shall we say acceptable. But the two guys I have sought advice from, are showing me targets with groups half the size of mine. But, they are both shooting two band Naval Rifles?
    Last edited by Hares Ear; 18-04-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    It has a Frith manufactured lock, stamped Tower 1855. Solid barrel bands, with retaining springs in the forestock. Sold out of service marks. A retailers name on the stock, W.Procter. Stamped for the West Yorkshire Militia on the butt plate tang.

I did wonder if my group sizes were, shall we say acceptable. But the two guys I have sought advice from, are showing me targets with groups half the size of mine. But, they are both shooting two band Naval Rifles?
    Your groups are better than the Musketry standard requirement of the day with a Tower-assembled rifle. The so-called Naval rifles, or P58, are renowned for their accuracy due to the heavier/shorter barrel. Even the P-H replicas shoot as well as the real thing and are much sought-after in the MLAGB crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Your groups are better than the Musketry standard requirement of the day with a Tower-assembled rifle.
    Tomorrow may tell. I am on a short range with several different loads, bullet diameters and different velum wraps. Along with the cartridges that gave me the eight inch groups.
    Robin

Short movie after cleaning.......

Built by a craftsman, the slots in the screws all line up
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4