Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FX Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Are they doing a semi-auto version?
    Not over here, Rich, they're prohibited.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

evenbad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Who said that then? Apart from you, repeatedly, of course.
    Someone who conjures up images of chavs in their turbo powered micras committing drive by shootings using S/A sub 12 FT/LB air rifle!!
    What's next on the list which you don't like!!

Quote Originally Posted by evenbad View Post
    Someone who conjures up images of chavs in their turbo powered micras committing drive by shootings using S/A sub 12 FT/LB air rifle!!
    Ah, so you're a chav in a turbo-powered micra who commits drive-by shootings, then? In that case, you're right - I don't like you or anyone like you. Do you think I should?

The fact is, no one else said that 'SA are the work of the devil and will turn you into a gunslinger overnight'. You said that. That was your statement and you've repeated it. I don't believe your statement and I don't think you have any evidence to back it up, do you? I think you just invented that stupid statement - unless you can explain otherwise.

As for your 'what's next on the list ....' statement, please explain exactly what you mean by that. Feel free to ask your chums.

Should you wish to discuss this properly, give me a contact number for you and we'll do that. I don't expect you will, but the offer is there.

Quote Originally Posted by evenbad View Post
    Hi Neil

I know you're pissed off with the whole situation at present, but you may find this interesting as it gives an indication where the drive by shooting with a Semi Auto worry comes from --- it also shows the outcome in New Zealand :-

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/25739

All the best Mick

I haven't been able to find out the power of the FX Monsoon used in the tragic case you refer to, Mick, but the newspaper reports refer to it as being "high powered" and we know from the FX website that the Monsoon in 22 cal is easily capable of 40 joules, roughly 30 fpe. I do hope the reporters weren't given to hyperbole.

It also appears from the reports that such a rifle was allowed in NZ off ticket so to speak, which of course is not the case here; if it's over 12fpe it's not allowed even on ticket.

So, the likelihood of such a scenario arising in the UK must be very small.

And it wasn't exactly a drive-by; the officers had approached the killer as part of a drugs operation. Also note the officer was killed by a single shot to the chest; whether that shot came from a semi auto or not is irrelevant.

The response in NZ was the placing of all PCPs on ticket, regardless of their power output. One could debate the wisdom of that outcome, but more practically, is it likely that a similar outcome would happen here? When air cartridge pistols went on ticket some years ago, only about a fifth of the known number in the country were either handed in or put on ticket; the others just disappeared. If we want to take dangerous guns out of the hands of the untrustworthy this is not a good route to take. We have allegedly four million airguns in this country; how many of those are PCPs?

Placing all PCPs on ticket retrospectively might work in a country of 3 million people; it would be nigh on impossible with 20 times that population.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

The response in NZ was the placing of all PCPs on ticket, regardless of their power output. One could debate the wisdom of that outcome, but more practically, is it likely that a similar outcome would happen here?
    Rich - given what's happening in Scotland right now, and the fact that the campaign to license was largely instigated by one shot from a single criminal, do you think it unreasonable to be concerned?

Getting back on topic
    Quote Originally Posted by PAUL600RR View Post
    i picked up a .22 today
    I'll wait until the .177s come in (end of August) haven't really got any use for another .22 rifle at the moment (so it'd sit with the other 10 .22's in the cupboard not getting used - seen the price of .22 pellets lately? & knowing the amount of pellets I used in the Bobcat over the 10 weeks I had it)

What's happening in Scotland right now and what happened in New Zealand are matters of airgun crime in the wider sense, which of course it is right to be concerned about, firstly for the victims and secondly for its potential impact on the shooting public, not to say the impact on the trade.

Semi auto is not part of that debate, unless someone wants to make it so.

If I need to know something about which rifles I can hold either on or off ticket, the resource I turn to is the FEO. Firearms Enquiry Officer, it's his job to deal with the licence-holding public. An enquiry to a local FEO regarding the possible ownership of a semi auto Steyr either on or off ticket produced a response to the effect that so long it is under 12fpe it is classed as an airgun and therefore not subject to licensing. That was given in writing. The FEO also said, in writing, and I paraphrase as I don't have the document in front of me, you are at liberty to go out and buy one if you want. We [police] don't need to know about it.

Now, I would imagine that the training of FEOs includes something like, if you can answer the question with a reply that conforms to policy, do so; if the potential reply doesn't sit within policy, boot it up the line for approval before making any commitment.

I have to give such a reply more credence than any advice I get on this or any other forum.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

What's happening in Scotland right now and what happened in New Zealand are matters of airgun crime in the wider sense, which of course it is right to be concerned about, firstly for the victims and secondly for its potential impact on the shooting public, not to say the impact on the trade.

Semi auto is not part of that debate, unless someone wants to make it so.

The 'someone' most likely to make ANY airgun part of that debate is any criminal who misuses one to such an effect that the media gets hold of it.

If I need to know something about which rifles I can hold either on or off ticket, the resource I turn to is the FEO. Firearms Enquiry Officer, it's his job to deal with the licence-holding public. An enquiry to a local FEO regarding the possible ownership of a semi auto Steyr either on or off ticket produced a response to the effect that so long it is under 12fpe it is classed as an airgun and therefore not subject to licensing. That was given in writing. The FEO also said, in writing, and I paraphrase as I don't have the document in front of me, you are at liberty to go out and buy one if you want. We [police] don't need to know about it.

The most authoritative 'resource' we have is the home office and it has stated that SA is prohibited. Should we ignore that resource, and would you consider your FEO better informed than the Home Office?

Now, I would imagine that the training of FEOs includes something like, if you can answer the question with a reply that conforms to policy, do so; if the potential reply doesn't sit within policy, boot it up the line for approval before making any commitment.

I have to give such a reply more credence than any advice I get on this or any other forum.
    I fully agree, Rich. The question is, do you give such a reply more credence than one that comes directly from the Home Office?

Apologies for the off-topic, everyone. I'll do my best to leave this one now.

evenbad Guest
    Ah, so you're a chav in a turbo-powered micra who commits drive-by shootings, then? In that case, you're right - I don't like you or anyone like you. Do you think I should?

The fact is, no one else said that 'SA are the work of the devil and will turn you into a gunslinger overnight'. You said that. That was your statement and you've repeated it. I don't believe your statement and I don't think you have any evidence to back it up, do you? I think you just invented that stupid statement - unless you can explain otherwise.

As for your 'what's next on the list ....' statement, please explain exactly what you mean by that. Feel free to ask your chums.

Should you wish to discuss this properly, give me a contact number for you and we'll do that. I don't expect you will, but the offer is there.
    You clearly stated the chavs and drive by style shooting in your post not mine!! I don't particularly like you either as you seem to think yourself as a self imposed air rifle spokesman who represent air rifle shooters, don't think so as for bringing up crimes with air rifles SA in particular these were high powered air rifles not sub 12FT/IB bit of a difference there.
    Believe it or not there has been crimes committed in this country using air rifles already and not S/A so what do you propose next Ban all air rifles!!
    Everyone is concerned about the S/A issue as it will affect pistols as well which will have a wide repercussions throughout this sport. Name me an incident in EU where these S/A have been on sale for a few years , cant find one such crime , so in affect you think that the British air rifle shooter is not responsible enough to own one!!
    As for what's next you seem to want to decide what we shoot I for one don't wont anymore restrictions imposed as we should be asking the HO consider lifting some of the laws in place Not interested in a tel conversation TBH but would have a meeting with you and your GTA to state my case and at least this wont be behind closed doors and would like it to be made public.
    You are entitled to your opinion and so am I, have a nice day.
    No more for me to say as this thread is about FX wildcat but as gone off topic , think the wildcat is going to be the one to watch, good price , shotcount and looks nice. look forward to seeing some videos of it in action.
    Last edited by evenbad; 24-06-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Your wasting your time mate, should know by now by now he thinks of himself as never wrong, he's so far up himself
    More and more people are realising that, and moving to others forums, he's had his day.
    I quit this forum.

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    Quote Originally Posted by T11A View Post
    Your wasting your time mate, should know by now by now he thinks of himself as never wrong, he's so far up himself
    More and more people are realising that, and moving to others forums, he's had his day.
    I quit this forum.
    Yipppeeeeee Another muppet gone
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE

aherm

any more reviews on the fx ???????

I fully agree, Rich. The question is, do you give such a reply more credence than one that comes directly from the Home Office?

Apologies for the off-topic, everyone. I'll do my best to leave this one now.
    When someone provides proof of the HO statement which outlines their stance on SA sub 12ftlb rifles I will listen to what you have to say.

Sadly that writren proof is still lacking..

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    When someone provides proof of the HO statement which outlines their stance on SA sub 12ftlb rifles I will listen to what you have to say.

Sadly that writren proof is still lacking..
    And how exactly is that Terry's fault?
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE