Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: idiot neighbour

idiot neighbour

we live in a semi rural area and a neighbour 2 doors away likes to shoot the wood pigeons. we often hear him firing his gun, in his back garden, throughout the day. he also shoots pigeons out of the trees, on the opposite side of the street, from his front garden. my partner watched him shoot one last week, from his front doorstep, and just leave it flapping around in the road to slowly die, after it fell out of the tree, which upset her. this annoyed me when she told me, ive nothing against killing pests, but leaving them to die slowly is just cruel, in my book.

this morning, we were sat in the back garden, enjoying the nice weather, when said neighbour shot a pigeon that was sat in the tree in our back garden, about 20ft from us. it fell onto the lawn and flapped its wings for a few seconds before going still. this upset my partner quite a lot, shes an animal lover and a big softy.
    seeing my partner upset got me angry and i shouted out to the bloke, asking him what the hell he thinks hes doing. we all have high fences so cant see each other. i never got any answer.
    i bagged up the bird, it was a nice clean shot through the head, and binned it, then stormed off to confront the bloke. unfortunately my temperature was up, so i wasnt quiet, and i imagine a few people in the close heard me. the bloke denied it was him, which made me more angry. anyway i left, telling him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more im reporting him.

i just cant believe someone would be stupid enough to shoot into other peoples gardens. the neighbour is in his 60's id guess, not some dopey teenager.

enthusiasts follow all the laws and make every effort not to upset people, but one idiot like my neighbour can undo years of good work.
    it really annoys me.

This kind of thing paints everyone with the same brush i'm afraid.

This is annoying, if you cant kill cleanly don't pull the trigger, but to shoot into someone else's garden is against the law and breaks shooting etiquette, I would be having more than words with the idiot.
    If he carries on, take some phone footage and give it to local police, or better still call police and inform them there is an armed man in your street, see if he likes the reception.

Quote Originally Posted by DM1964 View Post
    This is annoying, if you cant kill cleanly don't pull the trigger, but to shoot into someone else's garden is against the law and breaks shooting etiquette, I would be having more than words with the idiot.
    If he carries on, take some phone footage and give it to local police, or better still call police and inform them there is an armed man in your street, see if he likes the reception.
    I see what you are saying however it can backfire (no pun) and feed really well into the ''ban the lot'' brigades mantra.

Should have reported him the idiot deserves it.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by jcr71 View Post
    we live in a semi rural area and a neighbour 2 doors away likes to shoot the wood pigeons. we often hear him firing his gun, in his back garden, throughout the day. he also shoots pigeons out of the trees, on the opposite side of the street, from his front garden. my partner watched him shoot one last week, from his front doorstep, and just leave it flapping around in the road to slowly die, after it fell out of the tree, which upset her. this annoyed me when she told me, ive nothing against killing pests, but leaving them to die slowly is just cruel, in my book.

this morning, we were sat in the back garden, enjoying the nice weather, when said neighbour shot a pigeon that was sat in the tree in our back garden, about 20ft from us. it fell onto the lawn and flapped its wings for a few seconds before going still. this upset my partner quite a lot, shes an animal lover and a big softy.
    seeing my partner upset got me angry and i shouted out to the bloke, asking him what the hell he thinks hes doing. we all have high fences so cant see each other. i never got any answer.
    i bagged up the bird, it was a nice clean shot through the head, and binned it, then stormed off to confront the bloke. unfortunately my temperature was up, so i wasnt quiet, and i imagine a few people in the close heard me. the bloke denied it was him, which made me more angry. anyway i left, telling him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more im reporting him.

i just cant believe someone would be stupid enough to shoot into other peoples gardens. the neighbour is in his 60's id guess, not some dopey teenager.

enthusiasts follow all the laws and make every effort not to upset people, but one idiot like my neighbour can undo years of good work.
    it really annoys me.
    More importantly; you say the shot was through the head so we should be concerned where the shot eventually landed! Skyward shots are a no-no unless the backstop is assured and suitable!

In any event, so much wrong with what this guy is doing it is inexcusable!

As another respondent has pointed out, it is real ammo for the anti-shooting lobby!
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    More importantly; you say the shot was through the head so we should be concerned where the shot eventually landed! Skyward shots are a no-no unless the backstop is assured and suitable!

In any event, so much wrong with what this guy is doing it is inexcusable!

As another respondent has pointed out, it is real ammo for the anti-shooting lobby!
    Would you rather see an injury or death report than a firearms reported report ?

Both show lawful shooters in a bad light but one is way worse.

Let's stop the injury or death one before it happens.

He is not concerned where his pellets are going just now by the sounds of it. Next one could be a serious injury or death.

Report him.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    As Robf said, report him. He's breaking the law by shooting outside his property boundaries and across a highway. He's also upsetting the public, which is another offence.

Anyone capable of shooting like this for the fun of it - even if his justification is pest control - is capable of switching up to other animals, like cats and dogs. Sooner or later it'll escalate, better to get his little "hobby" quashed now.

Jerry

Reporting

Yes agree this man needs to be brought to book . The OP's temperature could sort this one out swiftly enough and if not he is justified in reporting this .
    However when knowing the surrounding situation beforehand to then tell the Police there is " an armed man in the street " would escalate things to the unthinkable .
    Keep that sort of mischievous remark to yourself !
    Ignoring the immediate threat to life your deliberately inaccurate suggestion could bring , this could get only you into a lot of bother with the Police .
    Recently too many innocent airgun owners , many members here too , when out shooting with permission have gotten a Police gun aimed at them over the same dangerous routine of people who dislike us and our hobby calling the Police when they see someone out on their permission .
    And you advocate doing this deliberately ?
    Shame on you.
    In such circumstances the best come uppance would be the Police arrest and charge the person who made such a report - when its discovered after doors have been kicked down , shots fired and there's blood in the street , that they knew the person and wanted to stir things up .
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 12-06-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    This is just unacceptable, much as we are all part of the air gun community, it's difficult to accept this kind of behaviour when it's clearly causing offence and distress to people, let along being totally illegal. Perhaps drop a not through his door explaining you were a bit upset at the time, but putting this into your own words in a friendly but factual manner? It's not good and neds to be addressed, you don't want anyone thinking it's you now do you
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

101 and report him before he injures someone. keep a diary of things.
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Random shooting of Wood Pigeons is in breach of the general licence,
    Shooting across someone else's property is illegal
    shooting a bird on land without permission is illegal,
    shooting within 15m of the road where it causes alarm or distress is illegal,
    Shooting across a public road is highly illegal.

He's bought it on himself, by being an utter t**t report him.

Better he is reported by a fellow shooter, than by an anti, it shows other shooters don't like these idiots either.

Kin ell..

idiot neighbour

report him anyway
    the pellet should never leave his property