Thread: Hw 30 few observations

Hw 30 few observations

Well, after returning to airguns after many decades via old meteor mk2, smk18/19, 2x99s and finally 2x 30s in 177 & 22 with accompanying multiple associated scopes, shooting every week (covid restriction allowing) theses are my observations over last couple of years, plus this must be taken into context that I am an aged shooter.
    I have noticed these seem curiously very well appreciated in the USA, much more so than here, anyway both 30s can be shot all day and I have gone from as far as I am concerned silly large mag & objective scopes (even for 99s) down to 4x32 duplex's which seem just right for the range of both me and the rifles - 20/35yds.
    I shoot with either bsa bag or porta-aim and when others not looking attempt standing unaided - very embarrassingly very badly - admiration and top marks to you who can do so, I feel happy actually managing to hitting a 3'' target at 20yds.
    Different stocks - I have both wood and synthetic, the wood is much nicer and although some my snigger really does dampen any recoil & associated noise transferred through cheek. However the synthetic does feel much' easier to hold' especially when in my words - shooting unaided (anyone wishing to swap, please pm)
    My favourite scope at present although can find nothing published about is an old japanese tasco 4x32 ao, anyone else have experience of?

Quote Originally Posted by Damned 69 View Post
    My favourite scope at present although can find nothing published about is an old japanese tasco 4x32 ao, anyone else have experience of?
    I had several of the same model back in the day (mid 80's) and managed to buy a boxed one from a member on here which looks totally unused and has everything in the box it came with
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Tasco

They did the tasco 4 x 32 FM in the early 80's then this changed around 1985 to the tasco AG range. Only real difference was the target turrets on the AG model. Mach 1.5

Yep, before I bought my first 30S in 2010 I had noticed the love for this super little rifle in the USA and deduced that there must be something very special about them to cause that sort of interest when they enjoy no power limits. And how right they are. I now have four of them.

I prefer smaller scopes on most of my rifles. But especially so on the dimunitive and lightweight little 30. And a 32mm objective is the largest mine will ever wear.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Some of the older Nikko Silver or Gold Crowns would suit very well, too.

And do Weihrauch themselves not market a nice basic 4x32, also?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And do Weihrauch themselves not market a nice basic 4x32, also?
    Yes, I have a couple that came with my 30s kit versions. They are generic 4x32's to be fair and look to be along the lines of Mountmaster or Richer-Optic, maybe all from the same factory? A nice touch though, I think?, is that HW have had fitted a silver trim ring embellishment akin to Leupold's gold ring which if I am not mistaken brings the parallax/focus into roughly 20/25 yards or so.

4 x 32

As Tony L mentioned. HW do a nice 4 x 32 at the moment. Pa, target turrets, mil dot but try and get one. Mach 1.5

Mach 1.5, the tasco I have is the fm version - with strange rubber adjustment caps. I have also tried one of the compact smk 4x32 midot scopes which is reasonable for the short distances I shot the 30s and looks 'right', however it lacks the clarity given by the tasco. Was the fm classed as a good scope back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Damned 69 View Post
    Was the fm classed as a good scope back in the day?
    Yes.
    This is a copy of an advert in AGW, May 89. Compare the prices of the Tasco FM scopes to the rifles. Tasco 4 x 40 AG FM £83.90. BSA Mercury £71.50. ASI Superscope 4x40 £39.95.

Last edited by I. J.; 14-06-2021 at 05:00 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Tasco FM

The 663wfm to give it's correct name was £35.95 in 1984. The FM range ran till about 1985 when it was revamped to the AG range. Classic scope with great optics. The rubber adjustments caps are known to perish. Mach 1.5

Love my 30 and have tried various scopes but settled on tbe cheapest one I've used. Hawke Vantage 2x7x32 it suits the little Springer well with nice optics and a milldot which is quite chunky but ok.
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)