Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAC springs

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I can't be wrong, I'm not holding an opinion.
    Touché - you are right about that.

When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me.

At the risk of sidetracking the thread, let me give you an example that negates your argument. Air Arms make three sizes of air tube for the S400, the carbine, the classic, and the long one that goes on the FAC models. They are all pieces of steel tube with a thread at both ends. Some dealers will not sell you the long tube as it goes on the FAC rifles. It also fits the standard models and it doesn't make them go over the limit, but they still won't sell them.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    At the risk of sidetracking the thread, let me give you an example that negates your argument. Air Arms make three sizes of air tube for the S400, the carbine, the classic, and the long one that goes on the FAC models. They are all pieces of steel tube with a thread at both ends. Some dealers will not sell you the long tube as it goes on the FAC rifles. It also fits the standard models and it doesn't make them go over the limit, but they still won't sell them.
    That's probably their choice - not illegal to do so though. Let's face it, you could use a tiny carbine cylinder on a FAC rifle - the shot count would just be less.

Exactly. They perceive the long tube as "belonging" to a FAC rifle, despite the illogical basis of that. Is the 20 joule spring similarly to be perceived as "belonging" to a FAC rifle? I suggest the case is much stronger for that, and now I am verging on offering an opinion.....

spring - a piece of curved or bent metal that can be pressed into a smaller space but then returns to its usual shape:

A spring is only a FAC spring when it's fitted to a gun. Otherwise it's just a piece of twisted metal.

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    spring - a piece of curved or bent metal that can be pressed into a smaller space but then returns to its usual shape:

A spring is only a FAC spring when it's fitted to a gun. Otherwise it's just a piece of twisted metal.
    So how is it that a metal tube can be classed as a controlled or restricted part for a firearm sometimes, but not others?

The question is not so much about a twisted length of wire, or a metal tube, than the absurdities of the current firearms legislation.
    Last edited by snock; 25-04-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Tubes are only classified as restricted when they are part of a firearm otherwise all tubes would be restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    Tubes are only classified as restricted when they are part of a firearm otherwise all tubes would be restricted.
    My tube is deffianately restricted!!!

"The tube " is a "lethal barrel", when it is a "component part" of a "firearm"... firearm includes air weapons. "The spring" is a "component part", and any over UK limit spring, should only be delivered to the UK to the person authorised to have it on his FAC. Without such FAC the person is not allowed to own, posses, buy or sell a component part of a firearm... firearm includes air guns. And just suppose the spring falls into the hands of the owner of an airgun with a barrel less than twelve inches, and the spring is fitted, giving power over the UK limit, would you imagine that the rifle would need a FAC?.......No it wouldn't. It jumps straight to prohibited weapon, you go to jail. Get a grip, this is serious stuff.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

A ball bearing is a part that puts a certain Pcp over 12. Am I allowed to sell a ball bearing?

Again, the point is missed. A ball bearing didn't start out life intended to be a component of an airgun; it's a generic component with a myriad of uses. Likewise, a spring is a curly piece of wire, is a spring.

But this 20 joule spring was specifically part of a firearm, it's not just any old spring from a ball pen or a cart.

Corky, thanks for understanding the question.

A view from a layman;

The supplier has given the spring in good faith because you've paid for it.

If in any doubt, bin it and forget it. It could be more trouble than it's worth if you interpret this particular law wrong.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by CORKY. View Post
    "The tube " is a "lethal barrel", when it is a "component part" of a "firearm"... firearm includes air weapons. "The spring" is a "component part", and any over UK limit spring, should only be delivered to the UK to the person authorised to have it on his FAC. Without such FAC the person is not allowed to own, posses, buy or sell a component part of a firearm... firearm includes air guns. And just suppose the spring falls into the hands of the owner of an airgun with a barrel less than twelve inches, and the spring is fitted, giving power over the UK limit, would you imagine that the rifle would need a FAC?.......No it wouldn't. It jumps straight to prohibited weapon, you go to jail. Get a grip, this is serious stuff.
    No.

Parts of section 5 firearms are banned.

Certain parts of section 1 firearms are controlled on certificate. Most parts are not. You can own a FAC rated spring, a trigger from a theoben eliminator, etc without a certificate. You can't own a springer cylinder that has been on a FAC.

Similarly, you are free to buy the magazines, trigger or stock off a Ruger10/22 but can't own the action, bolt or barrel as these have to be on FAC.

Please look up the home office guidance to police.

Thanks BB.

The limit where I am is 24 Joule (17.7 ft/lb) so anyone who doesn't want their FAC springs please send them to meeeee!

(Also send me all your spare barrels because they could become part of an FAC weapon!)
    Last edited by AlsoFishes; 26-04-2015 at 08:05 AM.