Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
I'd go along with geezers valuation as whilst the Hurricane (et al) attempted to be a Webley with a "sophisticated sighting system", in my opinion they "ran away" from the ethos of being a compact pocket pistol due to their extended length which was necessary so that they could incorporate a rear sight offering more set-ability and adjustment than the pistol and most users could reasonably make use of.

Just my opinion I'm afraid, as whilst the Tempest had a crude rear sight by the standards set by the Hurricane, what more does the average Webley pistol plinker need ?

Again, JMHO, why didn't Webley come up with a Tempest based frame with two sight options available by use of an adapter block, Tempest without, Hurricane with.

Vic Thompson.
You probably know far more about this than me. My understanding, from the G Bruce book, is that the Tempest idea came from a Webley designer acting on his initiative taking off the sight overhang used on the Hurricane to house the Hawk type micro sight. This was replaced with a Premier type, making the pistol more compact/less unwieldy. It required only altering existing Hurri frames.

As a decidedly below average Webley plinker, I appreciate the sights on my Hurricane .22's & .177 - but my Tempest groups aint that bad, in comparison.

I guess that at the time - even if they'd thought of it - Webley could not have been able to justify the expenditure involved in the re tooling for producing a new Tempest frame & fitting an adaptor block for a Hurricane variant.

Just my thoughts

Bru