Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling studs, yay or nay?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Studs are a huge benefit on a hunting gun. However, personally I won't fit a bipod to any of my guns, only slings, reason being, every gun I have seen that has had a bipod fitted, the stock is always marked underneath.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Studs are a huge benefit on a hunting gun. However, personally I won't fit a bipod to any of my guns, only slings, reason being, every gun I have seen that has had a bipod fitted, the stock is always marked underneath.
    A slice of soft leather or neoprene will put an end to any marks off a bipod. Or you could go for a picatinny mounted or spigot mounted one providing there is enough of a forend to insert the spigot

I have sling studs on all my rifles and the slings only come off to go in the safe. Even on the range I find the sling a useful tool to tie you into the rifle, I hook it round my supporting elbow and use the tension as an extra guide to feel the consist of hold I have on the gun.

Atb. Hal

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    So what Used item shows signs of being used shock horror, it's not a priceless work of art...it's a gun, it's meant to be taken out & used.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    So what Used item shows signs of being used shock horror, it's not a priceless work of art...it's a gun, it's meant to be taken out & used.
    My preference and my opinion.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

sling yes

HI, A sling is a must for a hunting point ,atb bob.

I personally don't like sling studs or slings. I don't think they are a necessity either. I've done plenty of hunting and never had them.
    It's a personal choice though, so it's up to the individual.
    Last edited by jeff0100; 18-03-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Quote Originally Posted by fife View Post
    HI, A sling is a must for a hunting point ,atb bob.
    I like the lockable QD swivels like the later Uncle Mike's, very quick to attach / remove sling as required
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Slings

You don't have to drill your stock a webbing type sling such as the Viper will fit most guns. As said earlier even light guns need a sling particularly if you carry shooting sticks etc.
    mk2 rapid.22

A fair point
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

When I order a new rifle my RFD always gets the studs fitted at the factory doing this saves me having to worry about damaging the stock.

I can understand both points, as it will be a working gun there will undoubtedly be a few marks picked up but it will also be my pride and joy being the single most expensive rifle I have ever bought so minimising the amount of marks will be on my mind so I will be extra careful in its use e.g using some kind of padding between the stock and the bipod to minimise damage/marking to the wraparound checkering of the forend.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    I can understand both points, as it will be a working gun there will undoubtedly be a few marks picked up but it will also be my pride and joy being the single most expensive rifle I have ever bought so minimising the amount of marks will be on my mind so I will be extra careful in its use e.g using some kind of padding between the stock and the bipod to minimise damage/marking to the wraparound checkering of the forend.
    Inner tube from a wheelbarrow/trailer type wheel is good, pushbike tubes are a bit too thin unless doubled up.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    my £30 bipod has a rubber strip on the face that meets the stock . you could change it for thick neoprene rubber.. We used to use it for sealing coolant holes in cylinder heads when pressure testing .https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/ord...c-samples.html ask for a sample of the size you need.

Or you could look and see if you can find a used stock and swap it then when you go to sell it you have a new stock to go on it.

I know people that buy used or cheap plastics for their enduro motor bikes and keep the fully stickered new ones for when they sell it . the decal sets can cost more than the plastics in some cases .
    Last edited by bighit; 18-03-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Range use no. Hunting yes. Trying having a slash in the field while carrying a rifle with no sling.....

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Range use no. Hunting yes. Trying having a slash in the field while carrying a rifle with no sling.....
    prop it up against a tree or fence