Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beeman C1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Baz, “Shed”,

You are both wrong and both right.

The C1 is a C1.

Vulcan: Vulcan stock, full power spring. Safety.

Victor: as above, but Victor stock, lower power spring. No safety.

C1 (early): C1 stock, full power spring. No safety. 14” barrel.

C1 (late): as above, but safety.

My gut feeling is that most C1s were the early type, and that most of the later type went to the States.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Baz, “Shed”,

I feel better now.. I think
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Its not my favourite design, I don't like the long breech seal inserted in the chamber. Got similar one in this week BSA Comet for 10 quid. Guy couldn't understand why huge bang on firing and pellet hadn't moved. Made up a long PU seal and away it went.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Bit of rubbing with coarse wire wool and oil, Comet came up a bit cleaner.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 04-12-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Bit of rubbing with coarse wire wool and oil, Comet came up a bit cleaner.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Great result!

I recently picked up a nice C1 after being on the lookout for quite some time.

The Vulcan never had any appeal to me but something about the C1 did, I imagine it was the straight grip stock which is novel on an air rifle. It does feel slightly odd bringing it to shoulder but I might try removing the scope and just use the open sights.

Mine must be the early variant with no safety.

Does anyone know what years they were produced?

Cheers
    Greg

'81-'96 according to the Blue Book of Airgun. Nifty looking guns

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009...rtillery-hold/
    Last edited by Drew451; 04-12-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I recently picked up a nice C1 after being on the lookout for quite some time.

The Vulcan never had any appeal to me but something about the C1 did, I imagine it was the straight grip stock which is novel on an air rifle. It does feel slightly odd bringing it to shoulder but I might try removing the scope and just use the open sights.

Mine must be the early variant with no safety.

Does anyone know what years they were produced?

Cheers
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    '81-'96 according to the Blue Book of Airgun. Nifty looking guns

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009...rtillery-hold/
    More like 1983-91, I think. If the Blue Book guys saw them on sale in 96, those were probably old stock.

Definitely good with iron sights.

Mine wears a Beeman marked period Williams peep. Nice.

If you want to scope it, stay period, small and low.

Webley Teleskan (not a great sight, though), Beeman SS1, SS2, SS3 (good glass, can be pricey these days, like as much if not more than a decent C1), Optima Gamekeeper (ditto), maybe a 1990s Simmons 1.5-5x20.

Personally, I find the stock too straight, the wrist angle too acute for proper trigger engagement, and the overall feel not quite as good as I thought it would be before I owned it. Quirky, interesting, nice bit of Webley history, but if I needed a fast-handling short Vulcan/Victor variant for ratting or similar, my carbined Xocet beats it hands down.

Slight tangent: did the Victor/ Vulcan successors (Excell?) share the Vulcan action? The C1 could have ran on into the 90s if so, and evolved/ been refined slightly ?

I bought one new in 1983 .... cost about 50 odd pounds iirc. Can't remember for definite as I got a 4x32 Rhino scope fitted to it at the shop in the West end of Glasgow, now sadly gone like so many elsewhere. I think it was about 70 quid all in.
    It's a pokey wee rifle right enuff, and very 'pointable', but could do with a tweak to the trigger to make it smoother and more pleasant to shoot.

Bought this C-1 at a gunshow this year always interested me and it was a great price; perfect condition. No Saftey.

https://imgur.com/a/XCBuuE5

Does anyone know the approximate ratio between .177 & .22 models produced?

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Bought this C-1 at a gunshow this year always interested me and it was a great price; perfect condition. No Saftey.

i had the exact same c1 in the 80s mine was shooting very close to the legal limit had it fitted with a red dot sight,and shot lots of grey squirrels with it, great stock without the pistol grip, very quick and easy to aim and fire,

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post

Very nice. How does it shoot? And what velocities do you get? Is it a .22?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Baz, “Shed”,

The C1 is a C1.

Vulcan: Vulcan stock, full power spring. Safety.

Victor: as above, but Victor stock, lower power spring. No safety.

C1 (early): C1 stock, full power spring. No safety. 14” barrel.

C1 (late): as above, but safety.

My gut feeling is that most C1s were the early type, and that most of the later type went to the States.
    FWIW, I would describe the original C1 as a Victor action (skinny barrel, no safety, flat-faced rear receiver plug) with shortened barrel, full-strength Vulcan spring, and a new stock.

The second-generation C1 was, IIRC, identical save for the addition of the safety.

The third-generation C1 picked up other changes from the “Mk 3” Vulcan family: a heavier barrel, and as mentioned above a wider, ribbed, curved trigger blade whose center is a bit further aft - and beautifully illustrated below by louisvanhovell’s photos.

As Geezer mentioned, the stock wrist angle of the C1 is very flat and quite uncomfortable for many, me included. The lack of drop at the butt heel does a great job of controlling muzzle lift in this light and powerful little rifle, and I found it very easy to shoot well in spite of the pain! . The late trigger gives a more comfortable hand position, and I like the balance of the meatier barrel, too.

Beeman’s catalogs claimed the design inspiration was the old “western” lever-action carbines, like the classic Winchester 94. Where they went off with the C1, is that those guns had a lot more drop at the butt, making the wrist angle more comfortable.

I always admired the gorgeous metal finish and crisp woodwork on Webley rifles of that era, though. To my mind the trigger isn’t even all that bad once you break it in, lube it a bit, and explain to yourself this is a dedicated outdoor sporter, not a target rifle, LOL...
    Last edited by MDriskill; 29-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.