Thread: The Webley & Scott Vulcan Air Rifle -- A Vox-Pop History

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Some more info.

The Vulcan carbine came out as a MkII or Series 2, in late 1983.

The Victor (1981-88) was a youth model. Plain stock, shorter butt. Slightly weaker spring for easier cocking. No safety.

Victor replaced by the Excel in 1988. Similar, but full power and a higher price.

Beeman C1 carbine: 1983-1991. A Vulcan action with a 14" barrel in a straight-grip stock. Originally had no safety catch. Not popular here, but briefly quite popular in the US.

The Stingray was sold as a standard rifle and as a carbine. As you say above, a deluxe model with a walnut stock was offered.

From the Vulcan Series 3, the trigger blade on this family (and it is the same trigger on the Tracker and Viscount sidelevers) was made much more curved.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Cheers Geezer, some excellent extra info there to (hopefully) help turn this thread into an on-going great Webley & Scott Vulcan reference thread?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Some more info.

The Victor (1981-88) was a youth model. Plain stock, shorter butt. Slightly weaker spring for easier cocking. No safety.

Beeman C1 carbine: 1983-1991. A Vulcan action with a 14" barrel in a straight-grip stock. Originally had no safety catch. Not popular here, but briefly quite popular in the US.

From the Vulcan Series 3, the trigger blade on this family (and it is the same trigger on the Tracker and Viscount sidelevers) was made much more curved.
    While all the early Vulcan relatives had the same basic receiver, trigger, piston etc., it might be more accurate to say the original C1 was actually a Victor action with a shorter barrel and a Vulcan spring. Its flat-faced rear cylinder cap, lack of a safety, skinny 14mm barrel, and short front sight casting were all Victor parts.

The C1 “inherited” later Vulcan refinements, though, including the safety, a heavier 16mm barrel (better balance IMHO), and the curved trigger (did much to help the awful grip position).

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    While all the early Vulcan relatives had the same basic receiver, trigger, piston etc., it might be more accurate to say the original C1 was actually a Victor action with a shorter barrel and a Vulcan spring. Its flat-faced rear cylinder cap, lack of a safety, skinny 14mm barrel, and short front sight casting were all Victor parts.

The C1 “inherited” later Vulcan refinements, though, including the safety, a heavier 16mm barrel (better balance IMHO), and the curved trigger (did much to help the awful grip position).
    You are indeed correct (but is it 14mm or 15mm? Must measure mine.).

I was using “Vulcan action” to mean the base improved Hawk design. The Vulcan was introduced (1979) a couple of years before the Victor (1981) or the C1 (1983). So in my mind, any later Vulcan-derived gun was a variant of the Vulcan, if that makes sense.