Thread: New FWB Sport - The good, the bad and the ugly - Part 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thank you for sharing the experience. I posted earlier about waiting some time to see if a New Sport came up for sale s/h sometime in the future as it sounded interesting. It still does sound interesting but for the wrong reasons. Certainly I am not terribly impressed by the FWB attitude but maybe, as suggested, the reply lost something in translation.
    And it provides a whole new set of questions to ask a potential seller concerning the rifle for sale and its history. Also more things to check out.
    I am pleased you have got it sorted but can appreciate the experience leaves a less than euphoric feeling with you.
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi Phil
    The feeling is only towards the manufacturer, certainly not the rifle.

There have been 4 recorded on here with bent barrels I think (at least 4 who know they had a bent one) over some fair span of time.
    I'd say that puts it to a manufacturing / assembly fault.
    Mach-1, Poison Dwarf (sent his back), Batuista and myself. The 3 that were kept have all been straightened.

Excepting the poor QC, they are a nice rifle. Challenges to get them to run at sub12 are there but basic, with the biggest hurdle being the unequal diameter of the factory guide and the piston bulge.

Not sure I'd hold my breath waiting for a used one to pop up though. I'd say chances are slim.

Mine is finished now and short of a small adjustment I need to make to the 2nd stage, its ready for a visit to the club
    B.A.S.C. member

You could well be right about them not coming on the s/h market.

Bet then we all need something to look forward to / hope for in these troubled times.

Cheers, Phil,

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post

Excepting the poor QC, they are a nice rifle. Challenges to get them to run at sub12 are there but basic, with the biggest hurdle being the unequal diameter of the factory guide and the piston bulge.

Mine is finished now and short of a small adjustment I need to make to the 2nd stage, its ready for a visit to the club
    Hi Rob,

The trigger felt really nice on the ones I tried. Once you get it exactly to your liking I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the accuracy once you can get to the club. It'd be nice to hear your findings once you do so.

Thinking back to the stats that Jon furnished us with on the original thread, the rifle has the same bore and stroke dimensions as the 80. Very similar TP dimensions. The HW35 has a shorter stroke and a longer, less efficient TP, yet can easily deliver UK legal limit power in a refined fashion. Just wondering if it would be worth further persuing a countersunk top hat or countersunk "front bearing surface" to cover up the piston rod bulge, giving more freedom for spring selection and just being able to marry the spring up to made to measure guide and top hat? Losing a little spring room I'm guessing won't be an issue seeing how the 35 can perform?
    Last edited by TonyL; 06-05-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Glad you sorted yours, but eash, that FWB response...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi Rob,

The trigger felt really nice on the ones I tried. Once you get it exactly to your liking I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the accuracy once you can get to the club. It'd be nice to hear your findings once you do so.

Thinking back to the stats that Jon furnished us with on the original thread, the rifle has the same bore and stroke dimensions as the 80. Very similar TP dimensions. The HW35 has a shorter stroke and a longer, less efficient TP, yet can easily deliver UK legal limit power in a refined fashion. Just wondering if it would be worth further persuing a countersunk top hat or countersunk "front bearing surface" to cover up the piston rod bulge, giving more freedom for spring selection and just being able to marry the spring up to made to measure guide and top hat? Losing a little spring room I'm guessing won't be an issue seeing how the 35 can perform?
    Hi Tony.
    Yes I'll certainly update as time goes on.
    I think its the fact that I'm settling in with it now I just want to tweak the trigger settings a bit more to my preference. But I will admit that initially I thought I'd leave the trigger alone.

Yes you're right with the similarites with the 80.

I can use any spring I wish as I have indeed stepped over the bulge. Basically a flat faced plug bored through the centre for the piston rod then counterbored at the rear to accommodate the bulge. Simply a matter of choosing a spring, top hat and guide as with any other drop in kit.
    I have a few guides made up for this now so I can swap and change if I need, but its where I want it now.
    B.A.S.C. member

Sounds like what we would term 'a crock of shit'.

Happy that YOU and a pal or two seem to have solved it. Barrel straightening IS part of the manufacturing process, and can be seen a gazillion times on Youtube as the workers, with the barrel on a wheel with handles, pull and twist the barrel in the clamp to make it straight

However, you, the end user, should NOT be able to see a bend in a barrel, let alone one that is as you describe.

My days of buying stuff from FWB are long behind me, but this saga of yours would give me serious concern about spending money in their direction in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Hi Tony.
    Yes I'll certainly update as time goes on.
    I think its the fact that I'm settling in with it now I just want to tweak the trigger settings a bit more to my preference. But I will admit that initially I thought I'd leave the trigger alone.

Yes you're right with the similarites with the 80.

I can use any spring I wish as I have indeed stepped over the bulge. Basically a flat faced plug bored through the centre for the piston rod then counterbored at the rear to accommodate the bulge. Simply a matter of choosing a spring, top hat and guide as with any other drop in kit.
    I have a few guides made up for this now so I can swap and change if I need, but its where I want it now.
    Excellent! Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I emailed SWS when this issue became apparent asking them to check my "pre order" gun when they receive it and they have promised me that they will.
    So, fingers crossed, hopefully mine will be ok when it eventually arrives.
    Thanks Rob for taking the time and effort to write down your findings.

Still no news on my order, guess they are struggling to find a straight one!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Still no news on my order, guess they are struggling to find a straight one!

If it was straight you would never hit anything.