Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Right, group test completed as promised. Bit of a marathon and the muscles in my back are aching like buggery, hope you appreciate my suffering in the name of non scientific research! Winner in accuracy stakes for me is the FWB. Last gun I shot and was flagging by then but it just kept putting them where the crosshairs were. One group in particular is barely 2 pellets wide. Amazing for a 5 shot group standing supported at 25 yards.
    Nicest gun to shoot, probably my 95 although still not that forgiving, felt happier with the 80 till I pulled the trigger.
    I started by trying at 30 meters but that was too far for me today!

https://i.imgur.com/eMpkKn5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2ew80WW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/adPeKdJ.jpg
    Last edited by maximus; 27-01-2021 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Rifle pic added
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hey Max, thank you for your fine efforts and selfless sacrifice.

I can't view those images properly at the moment as I'm looking in on my phone. Will hopefully get the chance to look in on the iPad later.

How standard is the FWB? I seem to remember you posting when you first got it? Great that that has shone in this test when quite a few nay sayers doubted its credentials.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hey Max, thank you for your fine efforts and selfless sacrifice.

I can't view those images properly at the moment as I'm looking in on my phone. Will hopefully get the chance to look in on the iPad later.

How standard is the FWB? I seem to remember you posting when you first got it? Great that that has shone in this test when quite a few nay sayers doubted its credentials.
    Hi Tony, thanks for the appreciation! The FWB just has fitted guides and top hat etc. My initial problems with it were all around recoil which is never going to be tame with a 30mm piston gun but changing the spring helped tame it a bit and the accuracy is second to none with JSB 4.53's
    I think my Diana 34K may of been let down by the FTT's or me. I'm going to give it some more range time as I know I've done better with it in the past.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Tony, thanks for the appreciation! The FWB just has fitted guides and top hat etc. My initial problems with it were all around recoil which is never going to be tame with a 30mm piston gun but changing the spring helped tame it a bit and the accuracy is second to none with JSB 4.53's
    I think my Diana 34K may of been let down by the FTT's or me. I'm going to give it some more range time as I know I've done better with it in the past.
    A fine looking collection of boingy little beasties, Max.

And some excellent shooting there and some very fine results. With a less "intensive" session and not switching between guns so much, I bet consistency of grouping would improve even further, although I appreciate the reasons for trying to accomplish on the same day, conditions etc. And those best groups from one or two candidates are simply stunning. Again, thanks for sharing.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Bit of a marathon and the muscles in my back are aching like buggery, hope you appreciate my suffering in the name of non scientific research! ]
    Have you fully recovered now, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Have you fully recovered now, Max?
    Just about! Might have a pop with my 34K this afternoon, bit of a breeze but will see how we go!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

How’s the 95 going?

On my 98 (.22) it was running hot.... little preload so I fitted a short stroke extension. This gave it some more preload and dropped the power to dead on 12. Shot fine but had a sight picture jump.

Took a coil off, now 560fps with Hades, 11ftlb - shoots a dream! Usual springer movement but sight pictures stays dead true!

Worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post
    How’s the 95 going?

On my 98 (.22) it was running hot.... little preload so I fitted a short stroke extension. This gave it some more preload and dropped the power to dead on 12. Shot fine but had a sight picture jump.

Took a coil off, now 560fps with Hades, 11ftlb - shoots a dream! Usual springer movement but sight pictures stays dead true!

Worth a try!

Hi Reevo, happy with it now I swapped out the spring for a standard spring from Sportswaffen Schneider. With 50mm of pre-load this has given a nice shot cycle and accuracy is great with JSB 4.52 8.44 grain. With the previous spring it wouldn't shoot any JSB pellet very well. Just shows what affect different spring characteristics have on how a springer performs.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Nicely done and a nice bit of research learnings as well!

It’s a dark art balancing recoil, piston bounce, surge with the right pellet being released in the cycle!

Nailed it

It's all in the spring, peeps.

Did you manage to squeeze any playtime in yesterday, Max?