Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

Sorry, I just find it alien that communities can't work some of this kind of thing out without referring everything to the Police, the Council, someone else, some "higher" authority. Can't anyone show a bit of responsible leadership?
However, I do think at some point certain things should be taken to another level, as some things are too big. But not someone knocking off a flipping pigeon straight off, straight to jail. Yes, it is illegal. Yes, it needs to stop. No one here condones it. But it doesn't warrant the Police kicking down doors straight off as some here seem to suggest it should.
Give it all some proportionality.
Proportionality is exactly what your post is lacking

We are showing responsibility when we say it should be reported

No one would be "straight to jail", neither would the police be "kicking down doors"
If you were lucky in about a week he'd get a visit from a uniform asking him to explain what had happened.
It took 10 days for them to appear after my idiot neighbour made the written statement I referred to above & that was only 2 years ago.

Personally I view anyone who argues against reporting such behaviour as partially condoning it.