Thread: LP with no8 & no19 sights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Just zeroed this in down the range and it was well worth doing.
    I’ve been shooting vintage open sights and classic 10 metre springer’s this year and this is the best of both worlds.
    Super super accurate rifle now. Looking forward to this months vintage HFT shoot!

��

Matt
    Hello,

I fitted a No 8 sight to my 1912 Straight Hand Stock BSA Light pattern together with a PH foresight tube. I also needed to remove and blank the standard rear sight dovetail as the original rear sight got in the way of the sight picture. The rifle shoots really well using this set-up, but still shoots a bit high at the lowest possible setting. This isn't a problem as one of the blade elements is quite tall and allows it to sit nicely beneath the aiming point. I tried placing a false, circular aiming point below the actual aiming point to see if the round sight element produced better results. I found the blade foresight easier for me, maybe because it's closer to the standard rear and blade foresight arrangement.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-07-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello,

I fitted a No 8 sight to my 1912 Straight Hand Stock BSA Light pattern together with a PH foresight tube. I also needed to remove and blank the standard rear sight dovetail as the original rear sight got in the way of the sight picture. The rifle shoots really well using this set-up, but still shoots a bit high at the lowest possible setting. This isn't a problem as one of the blade elements is quite tall and allows it to sit nicely beneath the aiming point. I tried placing a false, circular aiming point below the actual aiming point to see if the round sight element produced better results. I found the blade foresight easier for me, maybe because it's closer to the standard rear and blade foresight arrangement.

Brian
    Hi Brian,
    Looks like you’ve set it to sit in the web of your hand? That must be comfy.
    I try to shoot thumb up so couldn’t set mine there on my straight stock. Also it bought the sight too high as you said but you’re lucky to have a taller foresight element that works.
    I tried setting it behind my hand as per the BSA catalogue which was good as far as elevation went but interfered with my hold too much so I took it off.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It’s much more comfortable for me now on the pistol grip setup.

I find the ring foresight definitely helps, but maybe only if you’re centring the target within it. I read somewhere the human eye can line up a circle within a circle very accurately. I’ll use it for HFT so that’ll mean placing a 40mm round kill dead centre out to 30yds, then placing it bottom of the foresight ring for 35yds. When I rotate the foresight element to a post it’s much harder to get it centred.
    I bet a bead foresight would centre nicely as they’re round.
    I might make a little blanking plate too, I saw one fitted at Kempton and they are quite pleasing to the eye.

Cheers,
    Matt.