Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 hornet powder

35 grn v max
    LG400 .177 FX IMPACT MK3 .22 ,VULCAN2. 22
    HW98. 177.WOLVERINE R.177.
    .HW44 .22.HW97 .177.

Thanks, I might try a few more up the recommended max 13gn.

My CZ is shooting very tight groups with 12.9 gr of lil'gun under a 35gr v-max, will hopefully be able to chrono it next weekend at the club.

(Please note this load is close to the max load on the Hodgdon site, should be worked up to and may not be safe in anyone else's gun)
    Last edited by 223AI; 19-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    My CZ is shooting very tight groups with 12.9 gr of lil'gun under a 35gr v-max, will hopefully be able to chrono it next weekend at the club.
    The group was that good i shot one to the left to make sure they were going where i thought they were going.I only have a swarovski 6 mag scope, on but it is better than my old hmr.
    .HW44 .22.HW97 .177.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    The group was that good i shot one to the left to make sure they were going where i thought they were going.I only have a swarovski 6 mag scope, on but it is better than my old hmr.
    And mine, I can see the HMR only coming out when i want to body shoot the rabbits without any mess (as opposed to the hornet which makes a lot of mess) or if I've not had time to load any hornet rounds :-)
    Thanks for looking

I'll put this in here under powder,

Was doing some loading earlier, 12.8gns & noticed while most cases had plenty of room for the bullet I had 3 or 4 that filled to within a few mm of the rim with nowhere near enough room to seat the bullet,

baffled as all the cases are the same make & powder weight was spot on.

If it's Lilgun some of the granules seem to be different sizes, is it possible that they were not mixed enough and some bulky lighter stuff ended up in one load causing the larger volume.

I usually shake my tubs before pouring out.

I wouldn't think it would make much difference as Lilgun compresses fine.

It was lil-gun but it wouldn't compress enough to seat the bullet,
    I actually tipped it back on to the scale & used other cases I had primed, hence I know there are 3 or 4 like this, the other 50 odd I did were fine

Hornet powder load development

Tried out 5 different loads with 45gn S & B FMJ......9 gns of Vit N120 gave a sub 1" group at 50m (10 rounds is a group!).....looks promising. Nothing spectacular with 2400 8-9gns..I never have had much luck with 2400 but this was the original "Hornet powder". Also tried the "cast load" of 4,2gns Green Dot..again, nothing to shout about. Will try some more of the fast pistol/shotgun powders. The PPU cases used have a very deep primer seating and I will now try the Remington cases I have. Not sure if SP or SR primers are more effective..both seem to work ok.

amc577

Did you try weighing the cases that looked overfilled and compare them to regular ones/ If they weigh the same fill them with water and try again, see if the dodgy ones take less water. Might mean that there was something obstructing the inside.

Unfortunately I've no more empties of the same batch, they're S&B and weigh 10gn less than my other Remington/Hornady cases.

I did check the insides were clean & free of debris.

I tried loads of different heads in 45g for my old bsa, hornadry bee and normal and speer 40 g and 45g but the best results where the sierra 45g the rounded dome not the pointy (got loads locked away carnt remember the number on the box 1230 I think)
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

I tried 45 grn v max but struggled to get the bullet head low enough for it to fit in my magazine when reloading.
    .HW44 .22.HW97 .177.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    I tried 45 grn v max but struggled to get the bullet head low enough for it to fit in my magazine when reloading.
    I had the same problem, even with 40 gr V-Max. I came up with three solutions; 1. Load then long and feed singly (pain in the ass!); 2. Load them deeper until they just fit the magazine and live with the tip of the case being over the ogive of the bullet ( looks weird but works). 3. Load then long then pull out the plastic tip! (does not seem to affect accuracy).

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    I had the same problem, even with 40 gr V-Max. I came up with three solutions; 1. Load then long and feed singly (pain in the ass!); 2. Load them deeper until they just fit the magazine and live with the tip of the case being over the ogive of the bullet ( looks weird but works). 3. Load then long then pull out the plastic tip! (does not seem to affect accuracy).
    Or save a lot of bother and use 35 grain V Max!
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!