Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
The only definitive means to assure compliance is by use of a chronograph or ballistic pendulum.

That said, I believe there is no way that a BP rifle will exceed the range MV limit of 2145 ft/sec.

[B]Make that ANY BP-propelled rifle as we know it, Jim. I've shot a .45cal RB over 120gr of FFFg that made an average of 1820fps - it was not pleasant. ]B]

You must also comply with the calibre limit, so taking a .44 ball as 148 grains, to be within the max ME then MV must not exceed 2134 ft/sec, which seems decidedly unlikely with a BP rifle.

Assuming a very generous 1500 ft/sec MV, then to make 1495 ft-lbs you would need a 300 grain projectile, which I suppose is possible with a long bullet (is there a .44 Whitworth?), but at that weight you would not achieve 1500 ft/sec.

My Whitworth - a .451cal like most Whitworths - shot a 535gr hexagonal swaged Polisar bullet at a tad over 1300 fps using 90gr of FFg. THAT was for shooting at 1200 yards.

It does not seem likely that a BP rifle in .44 cal or smaller would exceed your range limits.

I am also surprised by the statement "...certified for .22RF rifles and pistol calibre rifles ..." Far from clear how you would recognise a pistol calibre BP rifle.

There ARE .36cal round ball and .45cal shooters - the long rifle kind - but the ball are actually smaller than those used in a handgun as they are shot with a patch. So, NO pistol-calibre BP rifles.

Are you quoting from the pukka range safety certificate, or local range rules ?

The few range safety certs I have seen address only pistol and/or rifle, MV, ME, and sometimes calibre limits. Not seen .22rf and pistol calibre rifles mentioned on a safety cert before.
My guess is that the OP's range is run by another one of these clubs we often hear about here that has folks in charge who are set in their ways. To say any more would likely get me a ban.

To set the OP's mind at rest, and bearing in mind that no matter what his club officials have to say, the laws of physics are dependably uniform across the known universe, here's a likely useful bit of information - it is NOT the powder, or 'mix' of powder [whatever that means] but muzzle velocity and weight of projectile that gives you muzzle energy. For example, shooting the common or garden 148gr .44cal ball from the average revolver at a typical 800fps [and that's going some], only gives you ca.210 ft lbs. Not really enought to blow the backstop into the next county.

tac