Thread: How many here collect deacts or obsolete caliber pistols?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Sswhack View Post
    i collect antique obsolete transitional revolvers, there are some true bits of history to be had, and the fact they dont have to be butchered by deactivating is a big attraction.
    my favorite so far which i may be selling
    is a very rare german made 7shot S&W model 2 .32 rimfire, cased and gold gilt, is there a market for it on here? as times are tight tbh. it wont be cheap though.
    What year was it made? You could sell it to an American collector, with no legal hassle, if it was made in 1898 or earlier.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    What year was it made? You could sell it to an American collector, with no legal hassle, if it was made in 1898 or earlier.
    at a guess 1865-70, theres no markings apart from a 7, which is repeated in several places, which could be a serial number or model code. are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins? i'll start a thread on it later.
    i'd rather keep it in the UK Jim, these things are rare enough over here, i cant be a part of the lessening of gun numbers, i'd never sleep at night.

...are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins?
    Yes.

Post pics or email me if you are shy.

tac

at a guess 1865-70, theres no markings apart from a 7, which is repeated in several places, which could be a serial number or model code. are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins? i'll start a thread on it later.
    i'd rather keep it in the UK Jim, these things are rare enough over here, i cant be a part of the lessening of gun numbers, i'd never sleep at night.
    I can identify with that.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

.44 Russian !!!!!!!!!!

So Whats the recent trend with Obsolete Caliber and the Smith & Wesson .44 Russian Revolvers ???

6 months and before these could be picked up for reasonable money

A refurbished nickle for around the £1k mark
    A decent Blued for a lot less
    A nice original for £1.5K max

Looking at the web sites and dealers it seems these are now going for £3k / £4K and up !!!!!!

A nice what appeared to be original blued was on Gunstar a moth ago private sale at just over a grand
    I thought that was to much ??

it was sold almost immediately and re appeared for sale by a dealer at £2.2k !!!

AND SOLD AGAIN !!!!!!

Is there a massive serge in decent obsolete revolvers commanding ridiculous prices due to the economic climate being a better than money in the bank or what ??

Hard to say why. I've noticed the same trend in pinfires in the US, though. Just a few years ago they were a dirt-cheap, unwanted-stepchild to collectors. Now, prices are heading upwards.

Absolutely Jim

I have also noticed the same with small rim fire pocket revolvers
    Still around the £250 mark private sale but £450 dealer
    A year ago these rim and pin fire pistols where around the £150 mark

On the S&W .44 Russian I have noticed that even in the US they are rocketing in price !!

Is it the big interest in Cowboy action and the easy adaption of .44 cases ?

Steve

Cowboy Action Shooting has probably played a part. But i think the main reason is that money is chasing a supply that will not increase (no one is likely to discover a hidden arsenal full of old Lugers or Navy Colts) and can only decrease over time.

The prices of good-condition percussion Colts, Single Action Army's, Lugers, "broomhandle" Mausers, etc. - the stuff that collectors want the most - has been pushed beyond the reach of all but the wealthiest collectors.

So, attention among collectors of average means has shufted to things like pinfires, Bulldog revolvers, less-known manufacturers, etc. This is pushing up the price of these once relatively cheap items.