Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
Considering taking up home loading initially for .243 calibre for use on Roe !

Any pointers at this stage regarding equipment, set up, materials, cases/bullets powder etc. ?

Thanks.
First thing is to get ahold of whatever loading manual it is that matches your bullet of choice - Hornady, Sierra, Speer, and then start doing some research on the reloading part of this forum. The 49th Edition of the Lyman loading manual is also a great choice for general reloading, and covers most bullet weights and powders

Depending on how much you feel happy about your initial outlay, depends on the next stage.

Economical reloading can be achieved with a total outfit from Lee for about £250 or so, or moving up, to RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lyman and Dillon - green, red, orange, and blue. Apart for the press itself, the most important items to buy are a GOOD set of digital scales, and digital calipers. Mitutoyo are world-renowned and for good reason, but they are not the only ones out there. Figure on paying around £50 or so for eternal reliability [in the case of Mitutoyo - the professional choice.

Not sure what you mean by materials - it's not as though you are going to make your own cases, but having settled on a brand - stick to it. Manufacturers are notorious for making case capacities differ even in the same calibre. I suggest the you go for broke, and start off, and end up, with Lapua cases. Primers for .243 are large rifle primers, and although you CAN prime cases in the press, most of us use a separate bench priming tool to speed things up. You'll need a case tumbler - needle tumblers are great, but cost a small fortune, and ultra-sonic, unless you cough up serious money, have a small capacity.

Case preparation involves trimming, deburrring, primer pocket cleaning and can be done easily using a mechanical device, or by hand. I've been using Lee case trimmers, fitting in a cheap electric drill, since forever.

Bullets are another personal choice, and I'm sure that you've shot enough to know that selection is vital - especially if you have already had good results with one particular ammunition brand. Bullet weight is up to you, then.

So loading press, dies, case prep kit, tumbler, scales, calipers, cartridge loading trays, and powder of your choice commensurate with the calibre you are using - there are dozens of 'em, but Vihtavuori is immensely popular for good reason.

I'll leave it to the next poster to come up with something else.

tac