Thread: Schimel GP22

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Baz you are right - just looked at what I sprayed the 600 with - satin black (doh - previous research led me to buy it) my brain is not what it was!

I also used a spray undercoat which, I believe, will work with most base metals/compounds so am pretty happy with how the Schimel will look.

I guess what I really wanted to ask (although I'll do it anyway) is what are others thoughts on "restoring" surface finishes on older/rarer items?
    I think with zinc ( Zamak) type airguns it makes no difference to value from my experience. Smith 78 and 79 G, 600'S, Schimel etc, sell for the same price whether refinished or not. With steel that has been re-blued it seems to make a difference to some collectors. The Schimel I sold yesterday was grey and not touched from original but I would have got the same price if it had been black.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I think with zinc ( Zamak) type airguns it makes no difference to value from my experience. Smith 78 and 79 G, 600'S, Schimel etc, sell for the same price whether refinished or not. With steel that has been re-blued it seems to make a difference to some collectors. The Schimel I sold yesterday was grey and not touched from original but I would have got the same price if it had been black.

Baz
    Thanks Baz - whilst I was not worried about resale value (I just want the pistol to look new as I enjoy using it) your comments make sense - although, personally, re-blued is no different - just a surface finish.