Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it collecting or hording?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Some collectors seem to have a particularly favourite airgun model and go to great lengths (and expense) to acquire as many examples of what is essentially the same gun. I was wondering if this is true collecting, or is just another form of hording? While not wanting to be critical of this type of collecting in any way, one wonders what the motivation behind it might be. What do others think?

Each to their own,no logic can necessarily be applied to what or why people collect what they do.For example I'd happily see every Gat type pistol placed in 44 gallon drums set in concrete and sent to the bottom of the deepest ocean,but that would be selfish as some collectors love 'em!

Theres quite far between British springers here in Norway, so I buy them whenever they turn up at a fair price.
    I cant be too critical about models and condition, and theres always room for another parts gun, isnt there?

So, for some strange reason, theres about 14 or so meteors of various vintage in the house at the moment, its been a while since i counted them

HOARDING???? I MIGHT sell some at some time. Just not right now, perhaps in the future. Perhaps

Actually, when you have enough of each mk of the same gun, you start to notice small differences withing the same mk.
    Like stock varnish colors and barrel block shape.

Hoarding you say???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Theres quite far between British springers here in Norway, so I buy them whenever they turn up at a fair price.
    I cant be too critical about models and condition, and theres always room for another parts gun, isnt there?

So, for some strange reason, theres about 14 or so meteors of various vintage in the house at the moment, its been a while since i counted them

HOARDING???? I MIGHT sell some at some time. Just not right now, perhaps in the future. Perhaps

Actually, when you have enough of each mk of the same gun, you start to notice small differences withing the same mk.
    Like stock varnish colors and barrel block shape.

Hoarding you say???!!!

How many Gat pistols do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    How many Gat pistols do you have?
    None! I only collect stuff you can actually hit a target with

A wise point of view!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    So you're not very good at throwing gats?

When I started collecting I had limited funds available so decided to concentrate on Webley's, they being British manufacturers, but have deviated to a few other makers along the way, although not to any great extent.
    My intention was to build a collection that would satisfy my interest and also appreciate in value as an additional pension fund, hence the purchase of multiple examples from various sources, such as Freeads in the eighties, and some from the adverts in the airgun magazines, and later on as funds became more plentiful I bought several collections from now defunct down gun shops and other private collectors, as well as some from this site. I also had contacts in some local gun shops, all of which have now gone, who would let me know if anything interesting came in, and I purchased a few worthwhile items over the years.
    I haven't bought much for the past twenty years, so most prices were a lot lower than they are now, which meant my 'pension Fund' idea has borne fruit.
    I'm currently disposing of my collection earlier than intended due to ill health, as I would like to sell most of it while I am still able to occasionally get items down from my loft, which is not every day, and still able to carry items to the Post Office once a week.
    I suppose one could say I've 'Hoarded' a lot of guns but that was intentionally done for reasons already outlined.
    Until Peter started Kempton Arms fairs I had never attended any fairs, and have only attended two of them, and had never ever attended a boot sale or bought from an auction.
    On occasion I've gone to a lot of effort and travelled fair distances to obtain Webley items I've been keen on, but that's part of the collecting bug, and I've enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    When I started collecting I had limited funds available so decided to concentrate on Webley's, they being British manufacturers, but have deviated to a few other makers along the way, although not to any great extent.
    My intention was to build a collection that would satisfy my interest and also appreciate in value as an additional pension fund, hence the purchase of multiple examples from various sources, such as Freeads in the eighties, and some from the adverts in the airgun magazines, and later on as funds became more plentiful I bought several collections from now defunct down gun shops and other private collectors, as well as some from this site. I also had contacts in some local gun shops, all of which have now gone, who would let me know if anything interesting came in, and I purchased a few worthwhile items over the years.
    I haven't bought much for the past twenty years, so most prices were a lot lower than they are now, which meant my 'pension Fund' idea has borne fruit.
    I'm currently disposing of my collection earlier than intended due to ill health, as I would like to sell most of it while I am still able to occasionally get items down from my loft, which is not every day, and still able to carry items to the Post Office once a week.
    I suppose one could say I've 'Hoarded' a lot of guns but that was intentionally done for reasons already outlined.
    Until Peter started Kempton Arms fairs I had never attended any fairs, and have only attended two of them, and had never ever attended a boot sale or bought from an auction.
    On occasion I've gone to a lot of effort and travelled fair distances to obtain Webley items I've been keen on, but that's part of the collecting bug, and I've enjoyed it.
    Thanks to you and your efforts, a lot of us on here have some exceptional Webleys and related items.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Each to their own,no logic can necessarily be applied to what or why people collect what they do.For example I'd happily see every Gat type pistol placed in 44 gallon drums set in concrete and sent to the bottom of the deepest ocean,but that would be selfish as some collectors love 'em!
    Are you telling me this WASN'T done? Didn't the Government promise to do this under the Pointless Pop-out Control Bill? What the hell kind of world are we living in?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Are you telling me this WASN'T done? Didn't the Government promise to do this under the Pointless Pop-out Control Bill? What the hell kind of world are we living in?
    Certainly not an ideal one!

I have the impression that hoarding is when one has too much stuff to the point that it becomes, even if unadmittedly, detrimental .
    Collecting is a more organized and motivated way of having stuff and actually enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    I have the impression that hoarding is when one has too much stuff to the point that it becomes, even if unadmittedly, detrimental .
    Collecting is a more organized and motivated way of having stuff and actually enjoying it.
    I agree with some of what you say.

My take is if guns are displayed , used as intended and generally enjoyed and shared that must be by definition considered a hobby collection ?

If guns are say boxed and stacked up, stored in the back bedroom or the loft for years on end that’s with no interest other than holding on to them , I’d say that’s hoarding ?

The day I stop shooting mine, enjoying them visually in the gun racks and taking care of them is the day they’ll get sold , otherwise logically what’s the point ?

Collecting becomes hoarding when you stop washing your hair and start to smell of fish

"But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    There is certain type of hoarder, extremely rare fortunately, whose motivation is seemingly a desire to remove as much of a rarity from circulation as possible so that it gives them a sense of empowerment. They have no real collector's interest in their booty, and it is largely kept secretly and never sees the light of day. I know of Webley Mark 1 rifle, air-cane and BSA Military pattern hoards, going back as far as 40 years. Sadly, I unknowingly contributed one of my own Mark 1's many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    There is certain type of hoarder, extremely rare fortunately, whose motivation is seemingly a desire to remove as much of a rarity from circulation as possible so that it gives them a sense of empowerment. They have no real collector's interest in their booty, and it is largely kept secretly and never sees the light of day. I know of Webley Mark 1 rifle, air-cane and BSA Military pattern hoards, going back as far as 40 years. Sadly, I unknowingly contributed one of my own Mark 1's many years ago.
    NOT GUILTY on two counts