Thread: Compact pcp ideas - anything beat a Steyr Pro X?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It’s fine if you want to shoot deaf rabbits at 25 yards, off a bench, tilting forwards...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    It’s fine if you want to shoot deaf rabbits at 25 yards, off a bench, tilting forwards...

So with the mag loaded craig can the pellets fall out of the gun?

at the deaf rabbits

Did just spot that Daystate Pulsar in the classifieds but I’m a bit leery of battery powered Airguns, just seems like another thing to go wrong (Luddite alert )

Plus they look a bit like laser guns I prefer something a little more normal looking especially when I may encounter joe public on my wanders (hence also not keen on the FX et al EBR look)

The Steyr Pro X is a lovely rifle but my choice in this category would be the Edgun Matador R5M. It doesn't have the 'self indexing' feature of the ProX which means you waste less ammo. It is an expensive rifle but still usefully cheaper than the Steyr.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Just to finish this post off here’s what I ended up with (assuming the image works I’ve had to cross link from another forum due to inexplicable lack of uploads on here outside of the sales forum)

First impressions are extremely good, ticks all the right boxes and has taken a few rabbits already.

Thanks again to all for the input/suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    Just to finish this post off here’s what I ended up with (assuming the image works I’ve had to cross link from another forum due to inexplicable lack of uploads on here outside of the sales forum)

First impressions are extremely good, ticks all the right boxes and has taken a few rabbits already.

Thanks again to all for the input/suggestions!

Very nice, mate - glad you’re sorted

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    So with the mag loaded craig can the pellets fall out of the gun?
    No, they’re secure enough when the mag is in the well.
    However if you try and load the mag into the well vertically, or worse still with the muzzle tilting up (off a pod for example), they’ll fall out and drop into the well, requiring you to dig them out/shake the rifle (which isn’t exactly ideal if you’re stalking rabbits).

The pellets falling out of the mag is easily remedied by seating the pellets in the mag first, a bit of a pain granted, but it works. Never had any accuracy issue's with mine and it is not pellet fussy in the slightest. The action is loud in comparison to a single shot rifle as standard, but an easy mod is the addition of a hammer spring guide which reduces it considerably (Shouldn't have to on a £2500 rifle though).

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    The pellets falling out of the mag is easily remedied by seating the pellets in the mag first, a bit of a pain granted, but it works. Never had any accuracy issue's with mine and it is not pellet fussy in the slightest. The action is loud in comparison to a single shot rifle as standard, but an easy mod is the addition of a hammer spring guide which reduces it considerably (Shouldn't have to on a £2500 rifle though).

John
    John, could you possibly post photographs of a couple of full magazine groups? Anything at 50m+ would be great - I’d just to compare my findings to other owners.
    Many thanks, Craig.

John, could you possibly post photographs of a couple of full magazine groups? Anything at 50m+ would be great - I’d just to compare my findings to other owners.
    Many thanks, Craig.
    See what I can do in the week. Out with the .223 this weekend.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Geordie, I found that I really need to try any bullpup I'm considering in the shoulder for more than just a few minutes. A Wildcat II seemed fine in the shop so I bought it then found I couldn't get a comfortable head position or acceptable groups. I also got cramps in my hand from gripping the pistol grip too tightly trying to get the gun in the right position. A great pity as it was everything I wanted apart from that.

The Uragan Compact is much better for me so I'll be sticking with it. I believe there's a shipment from AGT due to arrive in a couple of weeks so there may be some Vulcans available then.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    See what I can do in the week. Out with the .223 this weekend.

John
    Great stuff, many thanks.
    Have fun.
    Best, Craig