Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kassnar Optics - Anyone heard of them

Kassnar Optics - Anyone heard of them

My Theoben Sirroco is fitted with a Kassan 3-9 x 50 scope. A very nice scope but I cannot find out any information about them. Knowing the person who I bought the outfit from, it will not have been cheap.

Any information, please ?
    Air Arms 410 Carbine - Theoben Sirocco

fooknmissed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DC6839 View Post
    My Theoben Sirroco is fitted with a Kassan 3-9 x 50 scope. A very nice scope but I cannot find out any information about them. Knowing the person who I bought the outfit from, it will not have been cheap.

Any information, please ?
    Do you mean Kassnar?

Quote Originally Posted by fooknmissed View Post
    Do you mean Kassnar?
    I was going to ask that as well

Kassnar

Thanks folks, yes I do ... Sorry about that ...
    Air Arms 410 Carbine - Theoben Sirocco

At one time Kassnar was one of the best makes of scopes next to Tasco, I think they were German, I still have an old broken 4x32 Kassnar (the reticule broke), but you can still see the quality of it's build etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzy View Post
    At one time Kassnar was one of the best makes of scopes next to Tasco, I think they were German, I still have an old broken 4x32 Kassnar (the reticule broke), but you can still see the quality of it's build etc.
    If the ret broke, the build can't have been that good, could it?

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    If the ret broke, the build can't have been that good, could it?

Gus

Good point

It is a very old one made in the days when the reticules were not glass etched, but were made of very fine tin foil like substance, I'll tell you about it's build quality though, it's been stuck in a box full of old junk thrown on top of it for a good 20 years with no lens cover on, the fast focus still works faultlessly, the clarity of the lens is still good, and not a single dent in it, try that with a modern day cheapo Chinese thing

I only keep it for nostalgic reasons, it was my first expensive scope

I recently found an old one of these when I took up the sport again, 7 x mag with a wide screen TV type view. i bought it with an original 45 in 1987/88 and it still works a treat.
    ISP Airstream MKIII Leup MK4 10x40
    ISP Airstream MKIII Leup MK4 2.5-8x36
    [url]http://rivington-riflemen.eu

The reason some of the rets broke was usually because they were on harsh shooting springers, I remember the Sniper model with graduated ret which was etched, a nice scope for its day, also the Beta 3s which had level built into the bottom of the lens

I spoke to Paul Kassnar a few years ago, I dont know if hes still around as he was pretty old then, he was very pleased to get some good feedback on those old scopes, made in Japan and certainly one of the first really useable optics available for air rifles
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    The reason some of the rets broke was usually because they were on harsh shooting springers, I remember the Sniper model with graduated ret which was etched, a nice scope for its day, also the Beta 3s which had level built into the bottom of the lens

I spoke to Paul Kassnar a few years ago, I dont know if hes still around as he was pretty old then, he was very pleased to get some good feedback on those old scopes, made in Japan and certainly one of the first really useable optics available for air rifles
    I think that's why my reticule broke then, I used on my old Relum, then on an old Webley Vulcan, what I liked about them at the time was the size of the focus, nearly as big as the front lens, well on my 4x32 it is, and the clarity, even a 4x32 was crystal clear and had a sharp image. Top scopes, shame they are not made anymore

kassnar scopes

i had a 3-9-40 wide angle the best scope i have ever had.it was fitted onto hw77 airgun centre tuned rifle. sold for £150 some years ago.this combo took care of thousands of rabbits. i still regret selling it to this day.ie it cost me £252 to buy new.
    hw 80 .22 mk1
    sharp innova .22
    hw 95 177

Quote Originally Posted by w preston View Post
    i had a 3-9-40 wide angle the best scope i have ever had.it was fitted onto hw77 airgun centre tuned rifle. sold for £150 some years ago.this combo took care of thousands of rabbits. i still regret selling it to this day.ie it cost me £252 to buy new.
    I'm suprised that the older scopes don't seem to be collectable items

Quote Originally Posted by mozzy View Post
    I'm suprised that the older scopes don't seem to be collectable items

I thought they were. I'm sure I've seen a couple of Beta 3s advertised as such on the BBS. Collectors with period rifles also sometimes like to put period scopes and mounts on them. I had a Kassnar 3-9X40 on my HW77K at Iceni Marksmen 24 years ago - back then the scopes to get (unless you were really, really minted) were Tasco, Kassnar and Optima.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. MH View Post
    I thought they were. I'm sure I've seen a couple of Beta 3s advertised as such on the BBS. Collectors with period rifles also sometimes like to put period scopes and mounts on them. I had a Kassnar 3-9X40 on my HW77K at Iceni Marksmen 24 years ago - back then the scopes to get (unless you were really, really minted) were Tasco, Kassnar and Optima.

My mate still uses an old 3-9X50 Tasco on his Logun S16 (I think it's the Gold Antler, don't quote me on it though), and I always dreamed of affording and getting an Optima Moonlighter, I never got one though, at the time I could just about afford the 4X32 Kassnar

I wasn't knocking Kassnar, my friend has a 3-9X42 with a German "T type" 3 colour illuminated ret. Must be fairly early for an IR.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.