Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkish Tempests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tempests will never shoot anywhere néar the legal limit, either turk or uk.
    They're not made for it. They're shortrange plinkers. Wouldnt expect more than 3-4Ftp at best.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Tempests will never shoot anywhere néar the legal limit, either turk or uk.
    They're not made for it. They're shortrange plinkers. Wouldnt expect more than 3-4Ftp at best.
    In my experience Consistent muzzle velocities of 3-4 ft lbs are perfectly adequate to permit satisfactory groups at 10 metres or a bit further which would be much harder to achieve if energies of 5-6 ft lbs were generated. I have shot some of my best 10 metre groups using Webley pistols with fairly tired main springs which can't have been producing more than 2-3 ft lbs.

It's obviously a different matter If you are trying to knock over steel plates instead of punching holes in paper.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 29-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.

why would anyone buy anything from Turkey apart from a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    why would anyone buy anything from Turkey apart from a fez.
    Because you can usually haggle over the price !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

One other thing I noted in my brief ownership of the .22 Turkish Tempest was it's tight bore which meant having to use a seater to push the pellets onto the rifling before the barrel could be replaced prior to firing.

This is not the case with the .177 version which requires no aid to seat the pellet whatever brand is used. As with my other Webley .177 pistols, I have found H&N Match seem to perform best with RWS Hobby providing a cheaper alternative.

Regards

Brian

As a matter of interest, which pellet did you find suited your old .22 Brian? Mine quite likes the infamous Hobby.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    As a matter of interest, which pellet did you find suited your old .22 Brian? Mine quite likes the infamous Hobby.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Lighter pellets always seem to work better in my experience and like you I have found the RWS Hobby to be about the best in my .22 my pistols. However, I have found these to be a bit loose when used in the older Webleys but very tight in the Turkish Tempest.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    One other thing I noted in my brief ownership of the .22 Turkish Tempest was it's tight bore which meant having to use a seater to push the pellets onto the rifling before the barrel could be replaced prior to firing.

This is not the case with the .177 version which requires no aid to seat the pellet whatever brand is used. As with my other Webley .177 pistols, I have found H&N Match seem to perform best with RWS Hobby providing a cheaper alternative.

Regards

Brian
    Interestingly, I have noticed that when I put a pellet into the .177 Turkish Tempest it is difficult to get the pellet skirt fully down into the barrel so there is always the fear that some damage will be caused to the seal as time goes by if I don't find a suitable pellet pusher just to make sure it does not protrude past the barrel end before closing the barrel after loading.

The British made .177 Webley's that I have do not suffer from this as it is easy to insert the pellet fully into the barrel with the end of the thumb in the normal way.

** I should add that I have only used Eley Wasp and Hobby pellets so far - maybe others fit down into the barrel better?
    Last edited by zooma; 09-08-2013 at 09:08 PM.

its the same with the hw45 Bob, r10's & other short skirt pellets should sit fine.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Interestingly, I have noticed that when I put a pellet into the .177 Turkish Tempest it is difficult to get the pellet skirt fully down into the barrel so there is always the fear that some damage will be caused to the seal as time goes by if I don't find a suitable pellet pusher just to make sure it does not protrude past the barrel end before closing the barrel after loading.

The British made .177 Webley's that I have do not suffer from this as it is easy to insert the pellet fully into the barrel with the end of the thumb in the normal way.

** I should add that I have only used Eley Wasp and Hobby pellets so far - maybe others fit down into the barrel better?
    I have not experienced the seating problem when using H&N 'Match' with the .177 version but certainly did with the .22 pistol using various brands of pellet. What I recall from a brief look at a 'Brummie' Tempest is that the breech seal area was better recessed and would not have presented the risk of damaging the seal with a pellet skirt that protruded slightly. As a matter of interest, the Tempest breech seal sold by John Knibbs is too big for the 'Turkish' Tempest.

Regards

Brian

nikonf Guest

Tempest

Hi,
    Don't knock it until you've tried it?
    A name is a name only, and good quality Turkish is good, again then try and give an "honest" opinion ,not based on the name(Turkish), be objective
    ,not blinkered.
    You can buy a Rolex for £10,000 , and an Accurist for £300 and perhaps the Rolex is 10% better?
    Last edited by nikonf; 14-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonf View Post
    Hi,
    Don't knock it until you've tried it?
    A name is a name only, and good quality Turkish is good, again then try and give an "honest" opinion ,not based on the name(Turkish), be objective
    ,not blinkered.
    You can buy a Rolex for £10,000 , and an Accurist for £300 and perhaps the Rolex is 10% better?
    I am not really sure where you are going with those comments - maybe you should read all of this thread and the results of our test ?

We are not knocking it and we have tried it

The Turkish Tempest easily won our direct head to head test against a well run-in British made Tempest and impressed all of us that were involved in the test

The test was most definitely HONEST, it was NOT BLINKERED and it was very much OBJECTIVE so it already seems to meet or exceed your suggested requirements.

Maybe you did not see it or read it?

As we continue our testing we will remain fully HONEST and OBJECTIVE and will NOT be BLINKERED in any way - we have no axe to grind by reporting just how good the Turkish made Tempest performed, BUT we will also make sure that my well worn BT is performing as well as it can by checking the old seal and perhaps by giving it the same wide trigger advantage that both the Turkish made and the later British made Tempests already enjoy.

We also reported that the Turkish Tempest had a better finish than the British made one as well - but against that it is also very fair to mention that the British made example did "feel better and was also smoother to cock" ......more very OBJECTIVE reporting .

I really like my new Turkish Tempest, but it is a little rough in some areas where the British made example is better. If you read all of this thread you will see this for yourself.

I fully expected some of the dedicated supporters of the British made Webleys to object to a report that clearly makes the Turkish made Tempest such a clear winner - but have to admit to being gob-smacked that an obvious fan of the Turkish made Tempest has any probem with it winning the head to head
    Last edited by zooma; 14-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

I fully expected some of the dedicated supporters of the British made Webleys to object to a report that clearly makes the Turkish made Tempest such a clear winner - but have to admit to being gob-smacked that an obvious fan of the Turkish made Tempest has any probem with it winning the head to head
    Being a dedicated supporter of all Webley pistols (why is there no roll-around-the-floor-laughing smillie? ) I support the accuracy comparisons results between the British and the Turkish Tempest.

The Turkish Tempest did hit the wall behind the target holder nearer than the one.

ATB
    Wobbly Ian.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    In my experience Consistent muzzle velocities of 3-4 ft lbs are perfectly adequate to permit satisfactory groups at 10 metres or a bit further which would be much harder to achieve if energies of 5-6 ft lbs were generated. I have shot some of my best 10 metre groups using Webley pistols with fairly tired main springs which can't have been producing more than 2-3 ft lbs.

It's obviously a different matter If you are trying to knock over steel plates instead of punching holes in paper.

Regards

Brian
    As a newcomer to air guns, I find all your comments above very interesting. I have a couple of CO2 pistols and wanted a springer for a quick plink - rather than going through a full CO2 and large number of pellets/BB's. Very pleased with the 0.177 Turkish Tempest (short review in the reviews forum), and although it may not be as good as the English version - it was readily available and brand new. In short range practice (4m) in the garage was initially somewhat random, but after adjusting the sights (on a rest then hand held), I learned that a firm hold is essential (to resist recoil) just prior to squeezing the trigger (gently). This way I am now consistently placing the pellet within a cm of my aim, with a less firm grip the pellet path was much more random. Without exception the pellets go deep into the target; no bouncing out as with the CO2 pistols, this suggests I can land the pellets in a more distant target (unlike my CO2's or a less powerful spring pistol). There is something very satisfying about using these springer pistols; slow to load they may be but you make every shot count. I am keeping a look out for a Premier in good condition at a fair price (not paying extra for the box); I like the fact that they can easily be stripped for repairs...unlike the Tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    As a newcomer to air guns, I find all your comments above very interesting. I have a couple of CO2 pistols and wanted a springer for a quick plink - rather than going through a full CO2 and large number of pellets/BB's. Very pleased with the 0.177 Turkish Tempest (short review in the reviews forum), and although it may not be as good as the English version - it was readily available and brand new. In short range practice (4m) in the garage was initially somewhat random, but after adjusting the sights (on a rest then hand held), I learned that a firm hold is essential (to resist recoil) just prior to squeezing the trigger (gently). This way I am now consistently placing the pellet within a cm of my aim, with a less firm grip the pellet path was much more random. Without exception the pellets go deep into the target; no bouncing out as with the CO2 pistols, this suggests I can land the pellets in a more distant target (unlike my CO2's or a less powerful spring pistol). There is something very satisfying about using these springer pistols; slow to load they may be but you make every shot count. I am keeping a look out for a Premier in good condition at a fair price (not paying extra for the box); I like the fact that they can easily be stripped for repairs...unlike the Tempest.

Hi,

Glad you are enjoying your 'Turkish' Tempest and the unique experience of attempting to master spring powered air pistols brings.

The normally accepted method of shooting 'springers' is NOT to use too tight a grip but rather to let the pistol recoil naturally. This works well for me and I hold the pistol with about the same grip used when say tapping home panel pins or a relatively firm handshake. As I say, this is the normally given advice but as with all these things if something else works for you then great.

In my opinion the biggest single element in consistently producing good groups with any spring air gun is 'Follow Through' which ironically is probably the easiest to implement.

I have always been a die hard 'all steel' Webley fan and still prefer the traditional earlier form of manufacture but cannot deny that the modern alloy framed 'Turkish' Tempest does handle and shoot well.

Mine continues to perform accurately at 10 metres and now sports a nice pair of replacement wood grips which are slightly wider than the standard plastic set and consequently provide me with a more comfortable hold.

As far as 'Premiers go I would definitely recommend you go for an early all steel Mk1 model rather than an alloy Mk2. I have several examples of both the 'Premier' and 'Senior' and would be slightly biased toward the 'Premier' due to its adjustable trigger facility.

Regards

Brian