Thread: Browning Airstar not for the faint of heart, lol

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rare RUTTEN

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Probably wise but I am still enjoying mine but my entry point was £155. Actually the stuck safety was probably a blessing cause it made me find my way inside very quickly. It's two screws to get the stock off and that gave me access to all the mechanics. Had some Beeman Spring oil and lubed the spring and the chain and gears. It did quiet down the mechanics some. Have not had issues with the safety since I lubed it. New battery is still going strong after 3 days and probably 75? shots. I thought the Windstar had potential but the accounts above make me want to pass. I think the inherent flaws of no manual decocking and potentially inability to fire of the AirStar is pretty fatal, unless you feel comfortable going inside and doing it yourself.
    Odd how a little oil on a 20 year + old gun can make it perform better ..lol
    On a more serious note basing buying criteria on one/two reviews is a non starter .
    We treat our airguns badly here in the UK - they get all sorts of damage and you wouldn't believe what sort of things you see inside them .
    I've been after a DE Rutten break barrel airrifle - like most design board tweaked springers it'll be a nightmare once opened - but only for the first time ! Bike chain cocking Park's are another fine example - if you were offered a broken one for free - guess nobody in their right mind would complain ?
    As for these two specific Rutten , rarely seen I hasten to add - prices have been going higher and higher . One of the latter Mach 1's selling online now for £650 .
    As we are all here in the Collector's Corner .... when things do go wrong as soon as a gun design leaves the factory , thats what makes for scarce things - that then become really really rare .
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 23-07-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: making the point - pointier