Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECA and 'mercan powders.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maxam powders as an alternative.

The Maxam flake shotgun powders can give the equivalent of Red Dot and Unique for reduced loads and pistol calibre. Now been experimenting with GDB111 almost identical to N130. Fine rod double base.

11gns of PSB2...similar burn rate to Unique, but cleaner....has been giving me 1" groups at 100yds in 308, 7.5x55, 30-30. Using the 165gn H and N plated bullet, which does not have an outstanding bc. 8.5 gns in .222...similar results.

Used 15gns of the GDB111 with the H and N 55gn plated bullet in my .222...this bullet has a dire bc...still got 1" groups at 100 yds.

The CSB5 powder...about Red Dot burn rate...has been excellent in most pistol calibres.

Powder is Spanish and speaking to one of the few uk importers, I was told not expected to be a problem after Brexit.

Prices much less than the American powders. CSB5 £39 a kilo.....PSB2 £45 a kilo.

The GDB111 would be good for full loads, certainly out to 300 yds..IMO. £66 a kilo.

amc577

Another fan of CSB5 in 357/41/44
    Another excellent available powder would be N320.
    Would be even better if we could get it in 2kg tubs like you can in mainland eu.

Trail boss was one of my favourites, but has now disappeared due to REACH. I’ve heard Viht Tin Star is a similar bulky powder, good for cast bullets, though I haven’t yet tried it....

Hopefully this American trade agreement will open trade up again on things like this...
    Tac, I'm sure you had a thread about this a couple months back, some agreement Trump is setting up that will allow us to buy gun parts, scopes etc from the USA with less fuss and import duty?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Hopefully this American trade agreement will open trade up again on things like this...
    Tac, I'm sure you had a thread about this a couple months back, some agreement Trump is setting up that will allow us to buy gun parts, scopes etc from the USA with less fuss and import duty?
    That may not help depending on if we (as a country) decide to follow the ECHA REACH guidelines for chemical use or not. It wouldn't surprise me if we kept in line with things such as this as it will save our government setting up their own rules and having to do the review/classifications etc. and we will just copy/comply with the ECHA for ease.

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    As far as Im aware any law made under the EU while were still in the EU stands. Don't expect any common sense to be a part of it.

I will mainly be switching to Viht powders and calibers that work with it, and if that doesn't work then it will be Reload Swiss.
    God has a hard on for green rifles

I've always used H335 for my .223 and .308 reloading, so I'm stuffed....

I have been load testing with Ramshot WildBoar, and have a potentially good load for .308/155gn SMK.... the .223 so far doesn't want to play nicely, so more development needed.

I'm going to be loading .44 magnum cases for indoor 25m and need to keep it light to comply with range limits.
    I've been suggested bullseye, red dot and unique. I have a couple hundred 240gn heads but have been looking at 200gn molds as well. Anyone reload for .44?
    Donald

That was my understanding from my LGS in Eugene OR. Maybe not gun parts that are pressure bearing, but stuff like triggers, muzzle brakes, stock assemblies from the liks of Mag-Pul et al. And certainly US-made optics.

missing the point

Hi Tac EU member states???? I thought we are in the process of leaving the Circus,can't wait to be called English again.

Quote Originally Posted by kamyonsofor View Post
    Hi Tac EU member states???? I thought we are in the process of leaving the Circus,can't wait to be called English again.
    was there ever a time you weren't called English ?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Maxam GDB111

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    The Maxam flake shotgun powders can give the equivalent of Red Dot and Unique for reduced loads and pistol calibre. Now been experimenting with GDB111 almost identical to N130. Fine rod double base.

11gns of PSB2...similar burn rate to Unique, but cleaner....has been giving me 1" groups at 100yds in 308, 7.5x55, 30-30. Using the 165gn H and N plated bullet, which does not have an outstanding bc. 8.5 gns in .222...similar results.

Used 15gns of the GDB111 with the H and N 55gn plated bullet in my .222...this bullet has a dire bc...still got 1" groups at 100 yds.

The CSB5 powder...about Red Dot burn rate...has been excellent in most pistol calibres.

Powder is Spanish and speaking to one of the few uk importers, I was told not expected to be a problem after Brexit.

Prices much less than the American powders. CSB5 £39 a kilo.....PSB2 £45 a kilo.

The GDB111 would be good for full loads, certainly out to 300 yds..IMO. £66 a kilo.

amc577
    hi,
    I'm new at this and I bought maxam gdb111, lapua scenar 167 and now I don't have reliable data from the powder supplier.

So, for what I have searched, i got data from the supplier for the barnes ttsx168 and for all the powders i got info i understood that the amount needed for the TTSX is a littler bit lower than for the scenar 167.

What I would like to ask is if someone as more data and if using the following amounts should be safe and correct?
    My idea is to do a couples of rounds from 40.6-42.7, go to the range and than proceed if needed or possible.
    Lapua scenar 167 with maxam gdb111 ttsx 168 data

Data:
    Scenar min TSX min scenar max tsx max
    N540 45.4 42.1 52 47.7
    N550 49.7 45.7 55.1 50.3
    N160 55.5 50.2 61.7 56.3
    GDB111 40.6 47.5

From a quick google, clay and game advertise this powder and have THIS load data.

You don't mention what calibre you're loading for.

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    From a quick google, clay and game advertise this powder and have THIS load data.

You don't mention what calibre you're loading for.
    I have a Winchester xpr 30-06.

I’m reloading with .308 bullets.

Sorry for that miss

Hi,

I’m reloading for a 30-06 Winchester Xpr, the bullets are .308.

The loading data you gave is the same as the maxAm has available but it doesn’t have for my specific bullets.

My question, taking into consideration the other data is:
    Should it be safe to use the data from the barne Ttsx 168 since for the other powders I have data, when using the scenar 167 they actually need a little bit more powder.?