Thread: Springer ? 200yds possible ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
    The guy to my right was hitting them every other shot with his HW100 (.22) and the guy to the left was hitting them almost as frequently with his Pro Sport (.22), so it is posible with a springer. The guy on the right took all his shots standing, I kid you not, he only shoots standing up the club. The guy on the left not to be left out also hit the cans standing a couple of times. Springers in .22 can do the business in the right hands, but 200 yds I think would be beyond all expectations.

Rod
    Yep, 100yd shots are possible with a springer, it was me behind the trigger of the Prosport down at the SDFTC ground. Given the consistency off my shots of the bench I don't doubt this can be extended.

200yds with a springer ?????, we'll all have to put a fiver in a hat Rodd, and if Mr HW100 hits it, it doesnt count, spring guns only and besides, his ability to shoot standing is far too clever by half so he's disqualified before we start .

Go with whatever shooting position you feel most comfortable with Bellycrawler, just remember a light supportive hold will work best with a springer, don't try to rest it or lock it in a vice like grip.
    Last edited by Switchblade; 23-09-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post

Go with whatever shooting position you feel most comfortable with Bellycrawler, just remember a light supportive hold will work best with a springer, don't try to rest it or lock it in a vice like grip.
    Out of curiousity I shot it yesterday just resting on my open hand to see what would happen.
    I've now found something else not to repeat.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
    Yep, 100yd shots are possible with a springer, it was me behind the trigger of the Prosport down at the SDFTC ground. Given the consistency off my shots of the bench I don't doubt this can be extended.

200yds with a springer ?????, we'll all have to put a fiver in a hat Rodd, and if Mr HW100 hits it, it doesnt count, spring guns only and besides, his ability to shoot standing is far too clever by half so he's disqualified before we start .

Looks like I'll have to take that sr12 scope off my HW100 and ask my mate if I can use it on his old HW80 springer. I'm up for some of those fivers lol.

Other club members rangefinder came out after you left, set the cans out at bang on 100yds.

Kept hitting one can, knocking it a little further up the field each time.
    I ran out of aiming points at 106 yds and had to start winding down the mag on the scope. Didnt help that the wind was really pushing the pellets down today.

We measured out to the brow of the hill with the range finder, only 168yds

Do 'gas rams' count ?, my HW90K will have to come out.

How you getting on Bellycrawler ?.

Not been to the range yet.
    Can't use the farm as they are ploughing - seeding ect.
    I have been trying different positions while short range plinking.
    The rifle sure does jump about compared to a PCP.
    If I use it rested (not held) I can't see the pellet strike therefore I'll have no idea of aim points at any sort of distance.
    I really do need to try it first at the range, the bank will make it so much easier to spot where the pellet is landing.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

when you said you shot off your open hand, there is an alternative try shooting off the top of your fist, rest your fist on the table/bench etc and rest the rifle on top , you can use your thumb for lateral support and often a glove is beneficial!
    by doing this you reduce considerably the muzzle flip caused by the rifle bouncing off any solid rest, you must also ensure the butt or bottom of the pistol grip is not in contact with anything!

we have an L shaped shooting bench at our range so that your right elbow is supported too, using this bench and shooting off the top of my fist I can get a sub 30mm five shot group with my HW98 at 102yds , provided that is the wind cooperates!

The fist idea sounds good, I've done similar with the rimmy & PCP's.
    The open palm (hand) was done sitting, just rested it on my open palm to see what would happen, boing.
    Decided to definately take it to my local range.
    In a few minutes I'll be able to see how much the pellet drops just shooting towards the bank backstop & watching the dirt kick up to give me a starter.
    From finding out the aim point first I can get it over the farm & target shoot to see what happens.
    Just hope it doesn't drop below my view at the the bottom of the scope sight picture.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I have more experience with rimfire than airgun but I have a hw100 .22 and find this story of this guy hitting a can freestanding at 100 yards a bit far fetched