Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've shot some squirrels of late with a sub 12 ft. lb. .177 JSB Exact. Bottom line is, if you are going to shoot a squirrel with a 12 ft. lb. gun, expect it to do some acrobatics. In my experience, it's impossible to be 100% certain of a clean kill. Even at 15-20 yards you just never know when the squirrel will may slightly move it's head. I've waited for ages on the perfect time to shoot and have still had them move slightly. I think they were still kill shots, but it does make me think about it very hard. I shot one out at 25 m and was certain I'd hit the spot, but the thing did some very strange twitching. Head and chest were flat on the ground, but the rear end was standing up still and the tail was straight up and doing this little curl and uncurl thing with the tip of the tail. I ran out to it to put in another shot, but it was obviously dead. The pellet passed through right between the eye and ear on both sides with the top of the skull ruptured a bit. Squirrels are solid muscle and it would take a cannon to drop one, if they weighed a couple hundred pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    I've shot some squirrels of late with a sub 12 ft. lb. .177 JSB Exact. Bottom line is, if you are going to shoot a squirrel with a 12 ft. lb. gun, expect it to do some acrobatics. In my experience, it's impossible to be 100% certain of a clean kill. Even at 15-20 yards you just never know when the squirrel will may slightly move it's head. I've waited for ages on the perfect time to shoot and have still had them move slightly. I think they were still kill shots, but it does make me think about it very hard. I shot one out at 25 m and was certain I'd hit the spot, but the thing did some very strange twitching. Head and chest were flat on the ground, but the rear end was standing up still and the tail was straight up and doing this little curl and uncurl thing with the tip of the tail. I ran out to it to put in another shot, but it was obviously dead. The pellet passed through right between the eye and ear on both sides with the top of the skull ruptured a bit. Squirrels are solid muscle and it would take a cannon to drop one, if they weighed a couple hundred pounds.
    Be a very scary animal if it were medium dog size, they are definitely hardcore tough creatures.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Be a very scary animal if it were medium dog size, they are definitely hardcore tough creatures.
    "With sharp pointy teeth" !
    “An airgun or two”………