Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bisley Pest Control for ratting

Bisley Pest Control for ratting

Has anyone used these for killing rats? I got a tin today, they dont seem that well made, but i ran out to the garden just before the light went tonight and put 10 pellets into a tin can at 10 yards, and they did give a much bigger exit wound than my accupels do, so i can see a difference, just wanted to know what you find the accuracy is like and their effect on live quarry.

I've found them to be amongst the worse pellets for accuracy ever made.
    If you shoot them during the day, you can often see that they spiral in mid flight.

I wouldn't waste my time with them, but you might get different results.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

yeah they did seem to be pretty poor quality, but i was shooting in the dark so cudnt really tell accuracy yet, they did make a mess of the cans though, so may be ok for close range ratting, would you recommend anything else for ratting, what about Verminpells?

Any flat-headed pellet which gives good accuracy would be the one I choose.
    RWS Hobby, Matchpell, Bisley Practice.. they're all worth a try.

''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

well i should have my scope by the weekend, so ill get it on my gun, get it zeroed and then try a few types of pellets through it from 20 yards rested and see the accuracy

Y GWIR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    I've found them to be amongst the worse pellets for accuracy ever made.
    If you shoot them during the day, you can often see that they spiral in mid flight.

I wouldn't waste my time with them, but you might get different results.

I've found them brilliant below 25yds when fired out of my old .20 evolution. They were horrific beyond 25yds but I found them to be probably the best pellet available for use at short range against birds in the garden, so probably would be my choice for short range Ratting.

It just goes to show really how barrels preffer different pellets, sometimes even out of identical guns.

I might be able to help you out with some Hobby, but that's all I have in the flat pellet stakes.

Let me know if you want 20 or so to try.

its ok, i'm getting paid soon and i'll pick up a couple of tins of pellets from my local shop and try them out, if i dont like them can always give them away, thanks for the offer though.

always used powerpells.never missed and a clean kill in 22

Quote Originally Posted by Y GWIR View Post
    I've found them brilliant below 25yds when fired out of my old .20 evolution. They were horrific beyond 25yds but I found them to be probably the best pellet available for use at short range against birds in the garden, so probably would be my choice for short range Ratting.

It just goes to show really how barrels preffer different pellets, sometimes even out of identical guns.
    Found the same in .20 but perhaps slightly further out to 30 yards with good groups pretty poor beyond that...

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by days968 View Post
    always used powerpells.never missed and a clean kill in 22
    Just worried with a pointed pellet it will over penetrate

i have an fac rapid and use bis PC for rats and feral pigeons in barns at 10 to 25 yards their perfect after that they tend to wander a bit. I normally use aa field but they always over penetrate sub 25 yards

I shot a rat the other week with accupels in my garden from a prone position, i thought it hadnt over penetrated until i checked the area afterwards and found the pellet lodged in the fence panel, gone straight through the head and into the fence 5 yards behind

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by somnophore View Post
    I shot a rat the other week with accupels in my garden from a prone position, i thought it hadnt over penetrated until i checked the area afterwards and found the pellet lodged in the fence panel, gone straight through the head and into the fence 5 yards behind
    Did it kill the rat? If it did, even though you had "overpenetration", it was not a problem.
    Almost any pellet at close range can pass straight through, so you'll be wanting a safe backstop if you want to avoid damage to nearby objects (or ricochets ).

Oh yeah it killed the rat instantly, well apart from a tiny bit of twitching, but thats normal, yeah i'll probably just start shooting from standing/rested because then if it penetrates it will just go down into the mud at that angle.