Thread: Calling all you Warrior owners

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    I’ve just acquired a relatively early Warrior with the serial number 1719 in 177 and with the semicircular trigger guard.
    The grips on mine appear to be horn (the left one is delaminating slightly) and I’ve read reports of both horn and vulcanite grips being used on these. Presumably horn was switched for vulcanite at some point in the manufacture?
    I have checked my early non-serial numbered Warrior with the half-moon trigger guard, and it has vulcanite grips. ( You can confirm this by applying a red hot needle to the (inside!) surface of the grip and sniffing the fumes. Vulcanite gives a burnt rubber smell, horn gives a burnt hair smell). In addition, as you say, horn can show signs of delamination, as it was made by hot pressing pieces of horn together before it was stained.

I only have anecdotal information about the use of horn, but I definitely also had a Warrior several years ago where the grips were delaminating slightly and the black finish was wearing off along the layers. Unfortunately the gun is long gone and I did not record any details at the time. As the first version of the Warrior was not serial numbered, it will probably be impossible to determine when the use of horn was abandoned. Even so, it would be interesting to hear of anyone else who has a Warrior witn horn grips, as it will give some idea of how common they are.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 01-01-2022 at 03:11 PM.