Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
Thank you for agreeing with what my mind is also thinking, I just have to question it sometimes but it's interesting to think what it would be like if BSA had gone down that route.
Boiling things down to the very essence, the thing that is good about a BSA Airsporter is its barrel and it's sleek looks.

So going with your idea, get a good BSA barrel and graft it on to a Air Arms ProSport. This will make the metal parts of that rifle 100% British which I think you will appreciate.

Getting swoopy sleek styling out of a ProSport is beyond my imagination, but I am sure it can be done, reduce the depth of forward undercarriage and get a swoop on the back end.

Sliding Breech Conversion - a cautionary tale ..

I bought a Original Diana 50 sliding breech conversion from Protek once, there was also a Webley Mk III in the same homemade configuration. The engineer made the thing work but it used a kind of plug instead of a inner sliding compression chamber ... imagine a RB breech which pushes the spring back into the chamber when cocked. The person had engineering skill but no idea of airgun principles as the massively long TP and lack of breech seal as well as a weird radius on the breech meant the rifle made 2 fpe. I ended up breaking the rifle for parts as while it was a curiosity it was functionally useless and also dangerous as all that was holding the piston back was that three ball trigger mech. The tap had been removed, and the barrel breech end pushed through where the tap was and reseated where transfer port would normally have its opening into the compression chamber.

So I believe you COULD probably make this conversion, it is not likely to be much good, and it will cost you a lot to gain nothing.

What I have read about the Airsporter both the taploader and the RB2 is that there is no difference in accuracy with the RB2, why this is I cannot imagine. Several people say that if you get a 'good' Airsporter then they can give fine accuracy, so maybe it is a matter of either finding one of those or getting someone with the skill to fit the tap PERFECTLY. So if it was me on a quest for the 'perfect' Airsporter, I would buy one of the best models, which seem to be the Mk 2 or the Airsporter 'S' with the heavy barrel, and just keep buying and selling them until I found a good one, or get a nice one and get someone who knows their stuff to fit the tap perfectly, shimming or lapping as necessary. The RB series look like they should work but on here no one seems to think they are ever better than average, plus they have a huge compression chamber for 12 fpe use. I guess the SuperStar was the rifle that answered the question of the Ultimate BSA Fixed Barrel Springer.

Good luck.