Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated followers of Fashion ...

Dedicated followers of Fashion ...

No, not the Kinks version but just a casual observation made over the past few months. Is there a dedicated rise in the use of Steyr and Anschutz rifles in HFT this year? Just seems that many people are sporting new rifles from these makers .... Is someone offering blisteringly good deals on them?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    No, not the Kinks version but just a casual observation made over the past few months. Is there a dedicated rise in the use of Steyr and Anschutz rifles in HFT this year? Just seems that many people are sporting new rifles from these makers .... Is someone offering blisteringly good deals on them?
    Cheers, Phil
    I used an Anschutz 2002 for HFT in 2005-people would point at me and make comments like: "We don't agree with using' FT rifles for 'Unter shoots" or "it's cheatin' using' FT rifles for HFT".

How times have changed Phil!
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

......and another thing!

I only had the "one" rifle at the time and it cost me less second-hand than the price of a new Daystate MK3 which was the "rifle of choice" then.
    I still have it and as it has always been fitted with a Ken Turner custom made silencer, it is actually my hunting rifle. Seriously. All 14 pounds scoped of it!

All lies matter

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....
    Thought the Steyr has been a favourite for some years now in HFT ?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    I used an Anschutz 2002 for HFT in 2005-people would point at me and make comments like: "We don't agree with using' FT rifles for 'Unter shoots" or "it's cheatin' using' FT rifles for HFT".

How times have changed Phil!
    To be fair, I was on the understanding that when hft was introduced it was so such rifles wouldn’t be used and only “hunting” rifles was to be used
    Don’t ask why I thought that because I don’t know, and yes I did have a steyr and a Walther
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

Quote Originally Posted by ian321 View Post
    To be fair, I was on the understanding that when hft was introduced it was so such rifles wouldn’t be used and only “hunting” rifles was to be used
    Don’t ask why I thought that because I don’t know, and yes I did have a steyr and a Walther
    There is no restriction on rifle to be used in each event FT or HFT, just the scope.
    Just because people use an FT rifle for HFT does not give them an advantage, the ability to knock down targets gives you an advantage.
    Next big FT event you attend, use a hunting rifle with a 10x scope and clear the course, the look on their faces is worth the practice.
    VAYA CON DIOS

as the name was hunter field target i thought it was only for hunting variant type rifles

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    as the name was hunter field target i thought it was only for hunting variant type rifles
    Just like in the field, you can take your FT rig to shoot bunnies.
    They wind up just as dead.
    It's about the discipline, shooting around trees, under obstacles, over obstacles, contorting yourself into positions to take the shot.
    Just like in the field.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Now now gentlemen ... I started this thread as a general observation that I thought more Steyr and Anschutz rifles were appearing in HFT, not as means to resurrect the origins of HFT and the use of 'sporter' rifles. Things move on... it's evolution. And alied to the increase in Steyr and Anschutz I suspect there is a decrease in the BSA Goldstar that was all the rage some time ago ... but not the Ultra, and possibly Daystate have lost out to Steyr / Anschutz now? Not sure on that but possible. Walther still seem relatively uncommon. Air Arms seem forever popular but seemingly, to me, at the top end the HFT500 rather than the FTP900. But in all these comments I stress my sample size is very low.
    Maybe people see the top shots using a particular rifle and think they would/should follow suite ...
    Cheers, Phil

.......Prof. Phil: I think most of the replies on here are firmly with "tongue in cheek".

Practice.Practice.Practice.
    Thats how winning is done.

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    There is no restriction on rifle to be used in each event FT or HFT, just the scope.
    Just because people use an FT rifle for HFT does not give them an advantage, the ability to knock down targets gives you an advantage.
    Next big FT event you attend, use a hunting rifle with a 10x scope and clear the course, the look on their faces is worth the practice.
    I know I know hence why I said that me myself had a steyr and a Walther. However I was first under the impression that those type of guns wasn’t to be used, maybe it was printed in a Airgun magazine? There has to be a reason why so many people are talking the same nonsense??
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

I know I know hence why I said that me myself had a steyr and a Walther. However I was first under the impression that those type of guns wasn’t to be used, maybe it was printed in a Airgun magazine? There has to be a reason why so many people are talking the same nonsense??
    Sorry my friend no offence intended.
    I do believe HFT was meant to be a Hunting Kit discipline but like anything that is competitive, people look for an edge.
    If it is not excluded in the rules, people will use it.
    Certainly doesn't mean they will be any better for using it though.
    VAYA CON DIOS

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Sorry my friend no offence intended.
    I do believe HFT was meant to be a Hunting Kit discipline but like anything that is competitive, people look for an edge.
    If it is not excluded in the rules, people will use it.
    Certainly doesn't mean they will be any better for using it though.
    That was my understanding as well - after all if you're using FT kit, doesn't that just turn the discipline into FT just with no rangefinding?
    Which wasn't supposed to be the original ethos.
    Not the competitors fault though, just weak governing.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    That was my understanding as well - after all if you're using FT kit, doesn't that just turn the discipline into FT just with no rangefinding?
    Which wasn't supposed to be the original ethos.
    Not the competitors fault though, just weak governing.
    Totally agree.
    We used to make the HFT a real challenge where a FT rig would be so cumbersome you would be better off with a catapult.
    I remember shooting with John Costello, one target made him lay on his back with his feet pointing towards the target, then slightly on hid side with the rifle over his hip.
    I tried the same but couldn't shoot for laughing.
    Young bendy rubber people have the advantage, not Steyr or Walthers!!!!!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

I must admit I am enjoying the replies to this thread, even if they have wandered a bit. Never mind ... all good fun, especially for a rainy Sunday morning in Cambridge. ... no, sun has just appeared.
    Just to clarify ... you can use whatever scope you want to in HFT but you are not allowed to adjust it once you have taken your first shot. Thus, no range finding by focus adjustment etc, no change of magnification.
    But I digress. Another issue that came to mind recently, rekindled by an article written by the venerable Gary Chillingworth in AG was whether or not you can 'buy' success in HFT (and by default, FT I guess). I had always thought the answer was a resounding 'No', you cannot buy success because it all depends, within reason, on the skills of the shooter and the kit being used. My 'within reason' exclusion is because I would never expect a skilled shooter to win an HFT / FT competition with e.g a Meteor or Airsporter, no matter how good they are. But again I digress.
    But what about top end rifles, particularly springers like the TX200 and HW97/77 types that are proven contenders in competition. Can you 'buy points' with them? Stimulated by Gary's article and a few comments from other shooters, I now think you can. I doubt if many people would disagree that 'out of the box' either of the TX200 or HW97/77 are capable of winning competitions in the right hands. They have a proven pedigree. But I now think that even a top shooter can buy points by spending money on rifle modifications .. a new stock, extensive tuning of the internals etc etc; all aimed at, seemingly, reducing as much as possible the vagaries of a recoiling rifle to make the shot cycle as tame as possible. I stress that I do not think this is wrong; everyone has the right to strive for perfection in their kit. This may well also help a 'moderate' shooter improve performance but I suggest it will be unlikely to turn a moderate into an elite shooter as that essential element, skill, cannot be bought.
    But if now asked, 'Can you buy success' I think I have to say 'Yes, if you have the ability to make use of the changes made'.
    Cheers, Phil