Thread: HFT Quiz

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolId View Post
    Please excuse my interjection as a mere FT shooter, but I do think you should all give consideration to Gold's interpretation of Situation 1

1) Disqualification for ND

Range safety is something you can never have too much of

Regards

Dave
    I personally think that that would be mean spirited and unnecessary. The safety issue here is that the rifle is pointing down the range at the time and not at anyone. On more than one occasion whilst doing HFT and on aim, I've taken up the first stage and decided to adjust my position/move a tiny bit whilst forgetting to release the pressure on the trigger and ended up squeezing off before I meant to. On one occasion it earned me a zero and the other a 1 pointer. Do you consider that to be an ND as well? It's still an unintentional shot.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    and ended up squeezing off before I meant to.
    I've heard that said about you...

Quote Originally Posted by Weevie View Post
    I've heard that said about you...
    The circles you must move in....
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

The circles you must move in....
    Kes, don't

Just the thought of it

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

I think there's a subtle distinction here. If the shooter is behaving in a controlled manner, and has the rifle under control and pointing down range, but happens to pull the trigger when they are not quite ready then I'm happy with a doughnut

If the shooter is making a major change in position i.e. in the act of lying down (or sitting in FT) and a loaded non-safe rifle is being waved around and then discharged it's a very different issue

It's much better not to load until you are in position ...

Regards

Dave

Tamworth, Staffs 198 miles North of Calais :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    In both scenarios, the gun is over the firing line and therefore considered safe and has not been sighted. Discharge in any other circumstance would be considered a breach of safety. If its a genuine accidental discharge i'd allow a reload.

As I've said in my first reply, we're supposed to take part in these events for fun. If you've just driven 200 miles to be disquailified or had a chance of a win in those circumstances thwarted for whats effectively an accident then I think you'd have a right to be pissed off.

IMO there's far to many rules being introduced for the sake of introducing rules.

When Hunter FT started you could use any rifle as long as it was legal, you couldn't adjust the gun or any part of it, you had to be touching a peg, not sitting and not resting rifle on bean bag and targets were placed anywhere between 7-45 yards (or thereabouts) with a minimum of a 25mm kill. If you sighted the gun and it discharged, the target either fell for a 2, you plated for a 1 or you missed. Simple

I make that 7 rules. It was simple and didn't cause controversy. Everyone knew where they stood and no one pushed the rules that where in place (that I recall anyway)

It was more fun in my mind, you turned up to shoot with like minded folk who just wanted to knock over some targets and if they got a good score then great. Clearing a course was unheard of and people didn't expect to get 59 or 60 ex 60.

Rose tinted specs maybe or I'm just getting old and dissolusioned but it did seem less stressful back in the early to mid '90s.

Bob
    In one case yes but in the other as you are lying down i doubt its over the line, having said that it should be pointing downrange anyway.

I understand if the rifle is pointing downrange but i dont care if you have driven 500 miles and are 10 points clear, if you show a blatent disregard for gun safety, not accidental, careless, then you should be disqualified. Try to get the person 3 pegs down with one eye to sympathise that you have driven 200 miles

I personally think that that would be mean spirited and unnecessary. The safety issue here is that the rifle is pointing down the range at the time and not at anyone. On more than one occasion whilst doing HFT and on aim, I've taken up the first stage and decided to adjust my position/move a tiny bit whilst forgetting to release the pressure on the trigger and ended up squeezing off before I meant to. On one occasion it earned me a zero and the other a 1 pointer. Do you consider that to be an ND as well? It's still an unintentional shot.
    Good point well made Kes, my safety comes off when i am in position and have sighted the shot, its the last thing i do before pulling the trigger, admittedly, not all rifles have safetys,
    Atvb
    Cliff
    Unique S400 Classic with MTC Viper 10x44

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    In one case yes but in the other as you are lying down i doubt its over the line, having said that it should be pointing downrange anyway.

I understand if the rifle is pointing downrange but i dont care if you have driven 500 miles and are 10 points clear, if you show a blatent disregard for gun safety, not accidental, careless, then you should be disqualified. Try to get the person 3 pegs down with one eye to sympathise that you have driven 200 miles

Cliff

We're getting off track here I think Cliff.

First things first, if I see someone behaving in a dangerous way with no range disipline then they get there marching orders, period!

The original post as I understood it was not directly questioning safety but whether or not they should be allowed to retake the shot and thats how I've answered.

I deliberately didn't bring up the fact that the gun shouldn't have been loaded in the first place because I considered it irrelevent to the question posed. The scenario as I veiwed it would be that the gun would have been loaded when in a kneeling position with the gun pointing down range, no cease fire in place and the shooter in the process of getting into position with the gun still pointing down range, it discharges. No big deal.

Incidentially, have you considered (i'm sure you have) whether a springer shooter of slight build or possibly with a minor disability would find it easy or safe to load from a prone position?

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    We're getting off track here I think Cliff.

First things first, if I see someone behaving in a dangerous way with no range disipline then they get there marching orders, period!

The original post as I understood it was not directly questioning safety but whether or not they should be allowed to retake the shot and thats how I've answered.

I deliberately didn't bring up the fact that the gun shouldn't have been loaded in the first place because I considered it irrelevent to the question posed. The scenario as I veiwed it would be that the gun would have been loaded when in a kneeling position with the gun pointing down range, no cease fire in place and the shooter in the process of getting into position with the gun still pointing down range, it discharges. No big deal.

Incidentially, have you considered (i'm sure you have) whether a springer shooter of slight build or possibly with a minor disability would find it easy or safe to load from a prone position?

Bob
    Point taken Bob
    Atb
    Cliff

levidog is offline I got wood.........Bzzzzzz
    Why are you even discussing this

Rules is rules, just stick to them or don't enter. Easy

Quote Originally Posted by levidog View Post

Because we can Rules ARE rules and i dont mind, 2 doughnuts = a pair of binos, i know OO
    Atb
    Cliff

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by levidog View Post

Rule 7.

You may not whinge, nor whine, or moan,
    For if you must, then stay at home.
    soon to be adopted nationally, next the world.
    arf!

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Alegazmoz View Post
    Rule 7.

You may not whinge, nor whine, or moan,
    For if you must, then stay at home.

soon to be adopted nationally, next the world.

arf!

Silly boy! UK & Worldwide is the next section down
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité