Thread: Geometric puzzlement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bought a set of B-Square 30mm mounts today along with the 10mm riser posts.
    Firstly BIG thanks to DEBEN of Melton near Woodbridge, fantastic customer service, went to collect them as I dont live too far away, made me feel like a king, for a 60 quid purchase.

Secondly, what a fabulous piece of engineering these things are, working on a small gimble within bottom half of the mount, they will do the job just fine EXCEPT

THIRDLY!!!! Its bl**dy impossible to get the caps on, they just wont go far enough around the scope tube to give enough to get the tiny screws engaged. All afternoon Ive been at this!

So unless anyone knows what Im missing about these things, In spite of my comments.they will be destined to spend the rest of their miserable existence in the 'crap' bin, 60 quid wasted, cant send em back, entrance to the cap threaded holes scratched to buggary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Bought a set of B-Square 30mm mounts today along with the 10mm riser posts.
    Firstly BIG thanks to DEBEN of Melton near Woodbridge, fantastic customer service, went to collect them as I dont live too far away, made me feel like a king, for a 60 quid purchase.

Secondly, what a fabulous piece of engineering these things are, working on a small gimble within bottom half of the mount, they will do the job just fine EXCEPT

THIRDLY!!!! Its bl**dy impossible to get the caps on, they just wont go far enough around the scope tube to give enough to get the tiny screws engaged. All afternoon Ive been at this!

So unless anyone knows what Im missing about these things, In spite of my comments.they will be destined to spend the rest of their miserable existence in the 'crap' bin, 60 quid wasted, cant send em back, entrance to the cap threaded holes scratched to buggary.

I have a set of B Square 30mm mounts on weaver clamp and I had EXACTLY the same problem. I got them on using paper to protect the scope tube.

Getting them off wasn't a happy event, and I marked the scope tube.

It's why recommending Sportsmatch is so easy.

I have my doubts these are what I would describe as 'fit for purpose'. Take them and the scope back up to Deben, and get them to show you how it's done. If they can't do it, you'll get your money back.

Or they'll be on your scope.

Can't see how you can lose?

To be good, one must do good.

try the wet'n'dry paper . .

Barry,

In your shoes I wouldn't give up just yet, especially seeing as: 1) There's not much else on the market to do what you want, and 2) Apart from this problem, you otherwise seem to like them.

I think the problem is likely to be that the mounts will have been machined to 30mm diameter, then painted/finished, so actually they will be in effect 29.8mm diameter (roughly speaking), and the 'scope tube will be made of 30mm diameter tube and then painted/finished so it will be something like 30.2mm diameter.

Thus you have an 'interference' fit, as you are finding out!

In your shoes, I'd use the abrasive-paper-wrapped-round-the-scope-tube method (see my earlier post) to remove the finish from the inside of the mounts and get yourself a good fit. If they're adjustable two-piece mounts you can do them one at a time.
    B.S.A. Airsporter Mark 4 .22" , Webley Osprey .22", Feinwerkbau 300 S .177", Webley Senior .177"

Sign here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/TargetPistols/