Thread: Kriss Defiance DMK22C .22LR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another .22 tactical that cost $640 in the USA and costing almost double in the UK. Same as the Sigg 522 was hugely overpriced for what it is.
    These should be $=£ plus a smidge so £650; £750 max.

Yes I do know all the costs involved bringing them in. Between agents and retail they are putting 100% on the price. Most guns in the UK make nothing like that. It would probably be cheaper to fly to the USA and bring one back.
    Add a trigger worth having and the sums just don't add up.
    For that reason I've lost interest.

Well I shot my pals Kriss this morning and I loved it.. he has a different rail on it than standard and a wee vortex on top.. brilliant fun.. very accurate.. he has had 500 odd rounds through it so far with no jams, misfeeds or any type of malfunction... it's a solid wee gun and will ragged hole off a rest at 25m (our max range).
    I've not shot any other .22 ar types but to me this sets a pretty high benchmark...

I also got a wee shot of a gsg mp40! Loved it.. the owner promised me a go of his stg44 next time!!!
    Donald

boff180 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Another .22 tactical that cost $640 in the USA and costing almost double in the UK. Same as the Sigg 522 was hugely overpriced for what it is.
    These should be $=£ plus a smidge so £650; £750 max.

Yes I do know all the costs involved bringing them in. Between agents and retail they are putting 100% on the price. Most guns in the UK make nothing like that. It would probably be cheaper to fly to the USA and bring one back.
    Add a trigger worth having and the sums just don't add up.
    For that reason I've lost interest.
    You're forgetting advertised prices in the US don't include tax. A quick run down of the maths of importing a firearm in to the UK shows the price is actually pretty much spot on and not over-inflated. It's the cost of doing business in the UK, I've detailed below.

MSRP is $699 so, say wholesale price is 10% less (based on a quick google of US discussion forums on their RFD mark-up being 5-15%) so that gives a wholesale cost of $629.

A) £ to $ is currently 1.32 therefore direct UK conversion is £477.
    B) Import duty on the wholesale cost @ 20% = £95.

C) Gun Cost to the UK Importer say = £572 (A+B)

D) Shipping costs from the states, Say = £60 per gun
    E) Import duty on shipping costs @ 20% = £12 (know first hand this is charged by the UK, been stung - twice).
    F) Proofing of firearm in UK = £20

G) Total Cost preparing for sale in the UK = £664 (C+D+E+F)
    H) Profit at 10% = £66

I) Sale Cost before VAT = £730 (G + H)
    J) Sale VAT @ 20% = £146

K) Purchase Price to UK Customer = £876 (I + J)

We had Sig 522's over here for under £400. I suspect these aren't more expensive. Exchange rate was $1.51. Think they were £477 after all taxes and expenses out of the proofing house. Think we charged £650 or so.
    (I only brought the Sigs over because I was so annoyed with the UK rip off prices. The figures above are what I remember rather than from the books so don't take them as gospal. For our efforts we took a tad over £100. I agree there is considerable effort involved.)

But over £800 for a $560 rifle is eye watering.
    Last edited by Muskett; 14-10-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Nice review

Just waiting on my first FAC. Been a SG certificate holder for many years. Decided this renewal I'd go for both. I fancy the DMK22 or an M&P 15-22. The Kriss feels much nicer to hold but I'm going to visit a range and try both back to back then hand over the visa card :-)

Have you tried M&P mags in it? Seems like bolt hold open will be a decent advantage for practical shooting / quick mag changes.

Have you had a broken firing pin or had the bolt catch break yet?

I've seen numerous reports of these issues, but outside of a FB owners group nothing is being said.

boff180 Guest
    Nope,

However those sort of breakages need to be put in context to how the rifle is being used.... what type/power of ammunition (I've found Minimag completely unnecessary) and how many rounds are being fired in rapid succession and at what rate? Also, are they dry firing when clearing the gun?

I must say the only feed/eject issues I've had have been with Minimag, the action doesn't need powerful .22 ammo, it works perfectly fine on CCI Standard.

There is a titanium firing pin available as an aftermarket accessory. https://www.valmontfirearms.net/prod...ium-firing-pin

Andy

Mazama shooting and Fishing in Eugene, Oregon sells this excellent little rifle for $599 OTTD.

No sales taxes in Oregon.