Thread: Favourite threesomes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor;74[I
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor;74[I
    ]]

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have often wondered about the value of some patents when three so obviously common designs apart from size can be produced under separate patents.

Perhaps as you allude to, the two British models were part of the spoils of war following the transfer of designs, machinery and tooling etc immediately after the war. I know quite a few companies such as Milbro and Webley for instance benefited from the situation.

Regards
    Brian[/QUOTE]
    [/I

While I would agree that the Thunderbolt Jr and Acvokes are direct pinches of the Tell 2 design, we should not forget that Venuswaffenwerk's Tell 2 in turn was a direct pinch from Anson's concentric Highest Possible design, admittedly very cleverly adapted to cheap mass production.

Anson was responsible not only for introducing the sliding piston-concentric barrel concept, but also he was the first to use the hinged grip/trigger guard as a cocking lever in an air pistol, as in his first model Highest Possible. There is also good evidence that he was the sole originator of the side lever cocking principle with the Warrior pistol, Frank Clarke playing only a business role. A clever and much underestimated guy in my opinion.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 02-01-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Unhappy

I now as of a couple days ago have a cool Crosman trio but the third gun is current in transit. I will be late to the party with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    [I]

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have often wondered about the value of some patents when three so obviously common designs apart from size can be produced under separate patents.

Perhaps as you allude to, the two British models were part of the spoils of war following the transfer of designs, machinery and tooling etc immediately after the war. I know quite a few companies such as Milbro and Webley for instance benefited from the situation.

Regards
    Brian

[/I

While I would agree that the Thunderbolt Jr and Acvokes are direct pinches of the Tell 2 design, we should not forget that Venuswaffenwerk's Tell 2 in turn was a direct pinch from Anson's concentric Highest Possible design, admittedly very cleverly adapted to cheap mass produc

Anson was responsible not only for introducing the sliding piston-concentric barrel concept, but also he was the first to use the hinged grip/trigger guard as a cocking lever in an air pistol, as in his first model Highest Possible. There is also good evidence that he was the sole originator of the side lever cocking principle with the Warrior pistol, Frank Clarke playing only a business role. A clever and much underestimated guy in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Hello John,

I guess it's the common method of sealing the breech on these three particular pistols that makes them seem so closely connected, but as you rightly say, the functionality owes much to Anson. It would seem Anson preferred to design rather than produce anything in great numbers leaving the likes of Westley Richards to profit from his innovation.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    [I]

Hi,

Regards
    Brian

[/I

While I would agree that the Thunderbolt Jr and Acvokes are direct pinches of the Tell 2 design, we should not forget that Venuswaffenwerk's Tell 2 in turn was a direct pinch from Anson's concentric Highest Possible design, admittedly very cleverly adapted to cheap mass production.

Anson was responsible not only for introducing the sliding piston-concentric barrel concept, but also he was the first to use the hinged grip/trigger guard as a cocking lever in an air pistol, as in his first model Highest Possible. There is also good evidence that he was the sole originator of the side lever cocking principle with the Warrior pistol, Frank Clarke playing only a business role. A clever and much underestimated guy in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I had never made the connection. Fascinating. So the original idea was British, pinched by the Germans and then brought back as spoils of war by the Brits again. I don't have a concentric (if only) but the Highest Possible has the same cocking mechanism - so likely where design originated (unless someone else knows better :-)
    https://i.imgur.com/ZYWs4fk.gifv

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That's a very neat and innovative way of showing the connection between the two pistols, and will be very informative to anyone who has never handled a Highest Possible before. Wouldn't it be great if some of the other odd ball pistol and rifle cocking systems could be archived this way in Danny's Gallery?

Love the rare heart-shaped cut-out Highest Possible - I've yet to locate one of these.