Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of Rare Air Pistols

Lots of Rare Air Guns

Hi,

Lots of very rare air guns coming up at forthcoming Anderson & Garland Ltd. Newcastle auction.

September Fine Art & Antiques Sale 2015
    The David Swan Collection of Air Weapons & firearms Part 1
    Lot 916-1104

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 03-09-2015 at 05:07 PM.

The wire stocked Quackenbush bicycle pistol looks very nice...bet there aren't too many of those kicking around?...wonder what that will sell for?
    blah blah

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

Lots of very rare air guns coming up at forthcoming Anderson & Garland Ltd. Newcastle auction.

Some of the prices are unrealistically low, but an excellent array of rarities for the collector. One or two descriptions are also misleading, so care needed!

For people desperate to see these guns, go to http://www.the-saleroom.com and search for 'Anderson & Garland'.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A bit of a feast for collectors of airguns, particularly Gems and other rare pre war examples, many of which will not be seen together in one place again. Fortunately for me A & G is quite local so I get to view most of their sales. I learned a long time ago not to take too much notice of the estimates but it may be time to raid the piggy bank again, there are a few things that tickle my fancy.
    I've seen reference to the vendor, David Swan, several times in the past when doing research on some of my guns but otherwise don't know of him. He's certainly put together an impressive collection so I assume he's well known.
    Mel.

There are some really unusual items in this one!
    Note that the Quackenbush bicycle rifle is a rimfire; they're scarce but not super-rare in the U.S., may be a different story in the UK.

Don R.

WOW ...some very nice pistols up for grabs at this auction, wish I lived nearer as a few pieces that I would have broke the piggy bank for.

is it possible anyway to see what they sell for ?

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Estimates a little low..... Boxed Anson firefly est £250!

It's a fantastic collection some very very rare airguns, l think the auctioneers will have a big surprise at some of the prices they will get, l wish l could afford some of them. the A.Brown pistol being one of them.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Estimates a little low..... Boxed Anson firefly est £250!

Cool Lucky dogs!!!!!

Mr Swan had a wonderful eye for the old and rare! All I can do is plunder pictures!

Kessler or Rochester

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...6-a50800e322f3

From appearances, this is a Rochester instead of a Kessler. The Blue Book of Airguns actually has a listing for a Rochester type that is marked Kessler but there are no known examples. If this gun really is marked as a Kessler then it might be a very rare bird indeed. Kessler purchased the remains of the Rochester and moved production to Buffalo from Rochester, NY. The Kessler is a reworked Rochester with a full stock but still used many of the same parts as the Rochester. One problem is that it would be possible to take a Rochester barrel and assemble it to a Kessler, so, there are worries about coming across a homebuilt variant (many Kessler parts survived the demise of the company and there was a regular local hobby of building up "new" Kesslers from these parts)

Anyone attending this auction in-person, would be doing us a service to take a peek at the actual markings on the gun.

Rare bird: Crosman model 107

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...a-a50800e2da43

The Crosman model 107 "Town and Country" is a prized collectable here in the US. It was produced for only a short period of time in 1949 so it is truly rare. The model 108 (the .22 cal version) is much more common. Either are prized due to their unusual large size. This gun is of brass construction. It can easily go for $500 plus here in the US. Has to ultimately rare in the UK. By the way, my experience is that they are great shooters.

Plainsman .28 shotgun

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...b-a50800e2d8fe

Assuming this is a .28 caliber, it is an shotgun. To my eye, the bolt end appears to have been replaced. A rare and desirable gun.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...9-a50800e2d7d6

As a comparison, the bolt end on this .22 caliber Plainsman appears to be original. A relatively common variant but all Plainsman airguns are collectable over here. They are a bit tough to repair, since there is no source for parts but, as long as complete, they can be resealed with some effort. Much more difficult to get in and out than a typical Crosman but shooters like them for their small size and reported good accuracy.

Crosman Medalist

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...0-a50800e35c49

Certainly one of the most desirable of all of the Crosman model 150 variants. Produced for only a short period of time circa 1957.