Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why don't Air Arms make break barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Besides everything else Diana currently produce elegant, well engineered break barrel models either spring piston or gas strut coupled with the excellent T06 trigger.
    They do but not enough UK customers buy them. This may be changing slowly and Diana are building on formats best suited to UK tastes according to Edgar Bros.
    Personally, I think a 34 carbine with a proper moderator, kitted, in a 340 ntec style walnut stock would provide a real alternative to an HW break barrel or any hoped for Air Arms bb.
    But how many of you would be prepared to dip a toe into it?

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    Sure, but you'd agree that if they start to hear more demand for a particular gun they will be more likely to produce one. I still think it's a huge gap in their product range, a break barrel should be a staple for them. If people start emailing they might wake up to it.
    Certainly but they would probably resist. My experience with AA involving the non availability of a left handed Pro Sport leads me to remain sceptical. Bear in mind that the PE was a failure whereas the TX and Pro Sport have been good sellers.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by John doe View Post
    Interesting, what was the problem with there break barrel rifle when it did come to market? I bet they are quite thin on the ground? Any idea when they went out of production?

JD
    Every shooter who has owned or shot a Pro Elite has his own view. Mine is that the rifle was just so heavy that it made the Weihrauch HW80 seem a lightweight. Even at FAC power levels it still didn't compete with the HW80 in the USA.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Every shooter who has owned or shot a Pro Elite has his own view. Mine is that the rifle was just so heavy that it made the Weihrauch HW80 seem a lightweight. Even at FAC power levels it still didn't compete with the HW80 in the USA.
    About 15 years ago I had a choice the Pro Elite that was being sold of cheap or the 80 and I played safe went for the 80 a few years later I played safe and went for the TX

What could AA manufacture that would please break barrel fans that is not already there.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    They do but not enough UK customers buy them. This may be changing slowly and Diana are building on formats best suited to UK tastes according to Edgar Bros.
    Personally, I think a 34 carbine with a proper moderator, kitted, in a 340 ntec style walnut stock would provide a real alternative to an HW break barrel or any hoped for Air Arms bb.
    But how many of you would be prepared to dip a toe into it?
    Like I've said many times in the past, if Diana was to produce a rifle that looked identical to their own 34 120th Anniversary model, then I'd own one as soon as I could afford one, I've already asked Diana to make a replica one but they refused, even though the offer a bespoke customising service.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanchief View Post
    It's possible they could do a run of 100 modded by them from a first company spec. A bit like when SFS bought 50 Longbows from Venom to turn into a SFS Phantom, even back then the run finished at thirty purchased as interest faded, thankfully I have one of the left twenty.

Perhaps AA or a custom tuning house could purchase 100 95's from Hans and re spec them in house and re stock them to a one off run of a tidy spec' d break barrel.

The custom house or AA would still be shelling out 40k for a gamble of what kind of mark up and turn around on your outlay, marketing and investment ?

Perhaps a pipe dream but what about a pay up front bbs boinger special, if you want one sign up and pay up to a custom house 100% of the estimated final cost, they will then source the suggested spec items and assemble to the design spec, only once the final true cost has been established and final payments made would the new one off rifles be able to be owned by the new individual of the collective.

There may be a minimal run that the first supplier Hans could do so maybe 30 to make it worthwhile for the U.K. gunmaker to assemble and turn out, kinda like MG of days gone by.

This may be the only way to see a limited run of a Break Barrel anytime soon.
    Well the amount of interest I didn't have when selling my custom HW95 (it's sold now) probably proves that people want other things, when ever anyone puts up a "what rifle" thread, instantly you get HW99 or 95 mentioned by 80% of the replies, so I found it a little strange that there wasn't much more interest in mine considering mine was how a lot of peoples end up like, if you were to add up the total cost of getting my rifle into the tuned and customised state it was in would cost you well over £800 if you bought everything separately (not sure if a custom house could do it for less) now that sold for £270 plus post (£300 posted in the end), now yes I agree with you lot who are shaking their heads in dismay and disgust (I can actually see TonyL pulling his hair out) that I must be a bit bonkers to sell on such a lovely rifle but I have a strange way of doing things, now at the end of the day if AA did a few custom 95's that all it's going to be, it will still be a custom 95 with a fetteling from AA, no different that what V-mach, SFS or Wonky does, now all the tuning info that gets put up on here about short transfer ports and short stroking etc, AA would have to produce a rifle with all of those things perfectly (to not get any criticism from Jon Budd) now if they do that with a bought in 95 then it will still have the same specs as a 95 (unless they really go the full hog and reduce the length of the transfer port and make proper pistons to get the right swept volume but that cost a lot of time and money), what ever gets made needs to be made from scratch with everything designed in on the drawing board.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well the amount of interest I didn't have when selling my custom HW95 (it's sold now) probably proves that people want other things, when ever anyone puts up a "what rifle" thread, instantly you get HW99 or 95 mentioned by 80% of the replies, so I found it a little strange that there wasn't much more interest in mine considering mine was how a lot of peoples end up like

Pete
    For what it's worth, I don't think yours was necessarily through lack of interest: I'd have bought it in a heartbeat and saw the ad and your mentioning on the other thread.
    I simply didn't have the money to hand because of other expenses over Christmas and the fact that I've had to tone down my airgun purchases lately. No point blowing smoke up a seller's whatsits and replying too say how lovely something is if you're shopping with no money.. .

I suspect that maybe other potential buyers were the same boat.

On the AA break barrel, as mentioned on the thread they have allegedly had a break barrel on the back burner for ages. No great shock there - they make airguns and the break barrel springer is the most obvious and common format of any of them. They already have the manufacturing and purchasing connections in place to do it, so it can only be that they don't see enough money in it at present.

How the prospect of an air rifle manufacturer making a decent variant of the most common format of air rifle can't be viable has me baffled, but then I used to work in the niche side of the car industry at one point, and many times we had similar questions being asked by customers, with "you should do such and such" or "why don't you make a so and so".

But in some circumstances even well regarded, well known companies aren't quite as flush as the marketing blurb would have you believe and if you sink a few thousand quid into getting tooled up and new production, you have to be damn sure that you're going to get a return on it pretty sharpish. The current economic climate is no place to be playing fast and loose with new products that need money throwing at them.

Having said that, they've seen fit to throw out the Ill fated 510TC, and the collectors-only RSN70, so who knows?...

I agree with Pete. I've sold a few 95,s in the past and considering how popular they are supposed to be, they do seem to struggle to sell sometimes.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I agree with Pete. I've sold a few 95,s in the past and considering how popular they are supposed to be, they do seem to struggle to sell sometimes.
    Unless its to you.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Unless its to you.
    Hee Hee might be getting another on Saturday

Gun trade for air rifles starts when the sun comes out. Its not sunny right now
    Lot of 95's sold so a lot already have them. Your custom tune isn't someone else's custom tune. I have one and unlikely to get another, lovely rifle, lovely weight, one of the best triggers going, good looking furniture, not sure what could be improved. Even the price isn't outrageous though tuning adds a heft to the end price. Mine was second hand with an in house V-Mach tune already done and cost the same as a factory boxed new; I didn't take the hit. Once invested, job done.

AA would need to be as smooth, as good in every department. Room for more lovely wood, room for deeper bluing. Not much more to add, the rest would be price. Have to look absolutely fantastic and shoot fantastic too. Who knows they might have one in design, but would they make it? The risk possibly too high at present??

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I liked the Pro Elite.

But AA is a business and they made a break barrel and it wasn't selling so they stopped.

Im guessing its a simple as that why they don't make another.
    Master Debater

Thumbs up

I have an Air Arms khamsin .177, ok side lever not break barrel, but still a springer , still a good piece of kit considering its some 30 years old.
    Falcon Prairie CS.22 Huntsmans .20 Theoben .20 & .22 FAC