Thread: Best .25 Springer Sub 12 fpe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I got one on Friday, it was originally an 80k in 22, but i sent it off to Geoff Bullock at LSD, who has fitted a stumpy Knibbs barrel, tuned the rifle & cerakoted it, & supplied & fitted a mod.
    I had issues, so removed the baffle from the mod, & then it became accurate, at 15yds using a red dot sight i am getting 5p size groups.Shot at the range at 20yds yesterday doing some pellet testing, the groups opened up slightly, but then the dot was the dame size as the 45mm targets, even so managed some 25mm groups. I have spare scopes but no spare mounts, so will get a scope on it this week.
    As to pellets, JSB kings, are good, as are Diana magnums(been told these are ftt's ?)BSA pylarms, Milbro rhino's both types, though the white rhino's are a tight fit, & Bisley pest controls, which leave a wadcutter style hole in the paper target.
    Bad pellets were Henry Krank cyclone's & RWS super hollow points.

Just looking forward to a bit more testing of pellets with a scoped rifle.

Rob

I am curious about .25 so I took my V glide HW80 .20 and stuck a .25 barrel on it.

I tested the it with H & N FTT pellets and the firing cycle feels fantastic and it is sailing just under 12 so i might remove a washer to keep it a bit lower.
    Unfortunately, with the weather the way it is i haven't taken it to Pete's yet but i am looking forward giving it a good thrashing.

I'm curious to see how many mildots i have to use on the targets in the longer range.

I had an HW77k in .25

It was great fun and v accurate with open sights up to 30 yards with H&Nftt.
    I never put a scope on it tho.

I sold it to a friend last year who used my weakness for shiny pistols to do a deal.

I missed it so ordered another one 3 weeks ago.

10 weeks delivery!

I very nearly ordered a .25 97 in laminate from Sportsman Gun Centre the other month as they were on offer - but then another rifle came up which would suit plans better.
    But I do like the idea of a .25 77/97.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

They are very pleasant to use as the cocking requires little effort and the pellets are large.
    Suits the older gentleman!

They will say -why don’t you just use a .22 with a heavy pellet?

Then let them shoot a can @ 25 yards with your 25.
    Then try and get it back off them after 10 mins.

The blue laminate 97 at Sportsman is a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I had an HW77k in .25

It was great fun and v accurate with open sights up to 30 yards with H&Nftt.
    I never put a scope on it tho.

I sold it to a friend last year who used my weakness for shiny pistols to do a deal.

I missed it so ordered another one 3 weeks ago.

10 weeks delivery!
    I have the 77 in .25 too, it's really accurate and absolutely Muller's anything it hits.
    I've not had time to do any pellet testing yet.

I guess Mr Rat would hate these guns.
    Last edited by gingernut; 26-02-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    I got one on Friday, it was originally an 80k in 22, but i sent it off to Geoff Bullock at LSD, who has fitted a stumpy Knibbs barrel, tuned the rifle & cerakoted it, & supplied & fitted a mod.
    I had issues, so removed the baffle from the mod, & then it became accurate, at 15yds using a red dot sight i am getting 5p size groups.Shot at the range at 20yds yesterday doing some pellet testing, the groups opened up slightly, but then the dot was the dame size as the 45mm targets, even so managed some 25mm groups. I have spare scopes but no spare mounts, so will get a scope on it this week.
    As to pellets, JSB kings, are good, as are Diana magnums(been told these are ftt's ?)BSA pylarms, Milbro rhino's both types, though the white rhino's are a tight fit, & Bisley pest controls, which leave a wadcutter style hole in the paper target.
    Bad pellets were Henry Krank cyclone's & RWS super hollow points.

Just looking forward to a bit more testing of pellets with a scoped rifle.

Rob
    My Hatsan loved Marksman pellets, 18.6gn iirc & they're about the cheapest out there.

Rhino are .243, White Rhino are Euro 6.35mm also 1gn heavier.

I found that at 25gn muzzle energy "fell off a cliff" with sub 12fpe, I'd advise you don't bother going any heavier, even Pest Control were too heavy but Superfield were OK on the chrono.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    An SFS HW 80 "quarter bore"/Legend 5-15x40AO combo with F&TT's always puts a smile on my face when ever I use it. Its one gun I own which I know I'm really going to enjoy the session with !
    The .25 cal. isn't as "loopy" as some shooters make out with lighter pellets and I think F&TT's may be one of the lightest at 19.9 gr ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Thats right.
    It is the only pellet I use in my 77 .25

Its the correct size as well.
    Rhinos etc are for English barrels.

I have some really shiny pretty pellets from RWS and AA some of which push 30 grain.
    Useless at 12 ft lb.

Just put a cheap scope on mine(hawke sport 3-9x40) that i had in the cupboard, took it out to 25yds & it is coming together, but the scope is rubbish !

Seems to like jsb kings, but still have some sample pellets to test yet.

Rob

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Just put a cheap scope on mine(hawke sport 3-9x40) that i had in the cupboard, took it out to 25yds & it is coming together, but the scope is rubbish !

Seems to like jsb kings, but still have some sample pellets to test yet.

Rob
    Thinking about putting a nice Simmons Pro Air 4-12x40AO in Sales if its of any interest ?
    “An airgun or two”………