Quote Originally Posted by Woodie View Post
The 1911 and Hi Power are great pistols, the only downside to them is that you have to spend additional money on them to customise them. Hi power has mag safety,thats needs to be removed, you will need to changed sights to high profile, trigger pull and creep is awful, extended slide release and extended stafety. The same applies to 1911 except for mag safety.
The Browning mag safety is a 2 minute job to take out or put back. I used to use mine for service pistol so everything else had to be standard. I Had a beavertail grip safety on the 1911, and extended safety, slide release and mag button. All the extended bits were actually standard bits with extensions brazed on then filed down to suit.

A mate did the mag button first but it was too long....... dead easy to accidentally drop the mag in the middle of a string so I filed it down till I could just press it without changing my grip on the gun. I was so pleased with that I bought a little brazing kit and did my own safety and slide release.

A lot of the custom stuff for 45s was relatively easy. It was possible to open the mag well out with a file and emery paper and I spent hours with rag wrapped round a dowel polishing the feed ramp with cutting compound and eventually T cut.

The biggest expense for practical was magazines. John Longstaff used to import some cheapies but they weren't very good. The best were Devel mags, they wer standard length but somehow they managed to squeeze an extra round in them........ 8 for the price of 7.